Bachmann 47 "wobble"

faa77

Bought two Bachmann 47 a few months back, tested them and both seem to have a "wobble" at one cabin end, when running. One of the locos seems to only do this in one direction and the other in both directions.

I'm running it on track on a hard floor, so there isn't anything to absorb vibrations. The track is flat (obviously) so i'm not sure if this is expected, or whether its something with the bogie?

I can only describe it as horizontal and vertical movement of the cabin, in addition to the loco's direction of travel.

Not sure whether to ask Bachmann to take a look as they're under warranty. 

Bought two Bachmann 47 a few months back, tested them and both seem to have a "wobble" at one cabin end, when running. 

Are those locos constructed using split axles?  If split axles are assembled incorrectly they would cause wobble.

'Wobbly' diesels from Bachmann seems to be very common.  My last Class 47 and last two Class 66 purchases were returned for the very same reason. If you are still able to I would advise returning to the store of purchase for exchange as they really shouldn't leave the factory like that.

This was a problem seen on the class 47 at first release, and I thought long ago rectified?

The suggestion to return will be best; unless you want to fiddle with it, and hang the warranty.

I only have the one 47 purchased in 2007, and the body needed 'dropping' relative to the bogies to correct the ride height, and along the way that also corrected the wobbliness of the body. The body should be supported on the bogie towers by a cast bead resting on a collar around the top of the tower. Unfortunately the tops of the bogie towers were slightly over-diameter relative to the pivot holes in the casting, and as a result the body was instead suspended on the pivot with too much freedom to rock about. A simple shaving down of the pivot diameter fixed this. Does require the bogies to be completely removed from the casting.

One other thing that has been mentioned before with bachy diesels is where the axles lie in the plastic rebates in the bogie block sometimes the holes are not perfectly cast, leading to a wobbliness of one axle.

I eventually changed a 37 bogie assembly due to this and I still have one that has a bit of a rolling gait.