RMweb

Heljan item 3415 class 33...

dude2112

Hi all, not been on here for a while but am still modelling railways.

My problem is that i have bought a pre-owned Heljan 00 gauge loco i cannot get into.

There are no instruction sheets with it and i wish to fit a decoder. It does say 8 pin DCC on the packaging.

I have tried searching and contacted Howes and Heljan with no answers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

The Heljan Class 33 does indeed take an 8 pin decoder. I've found an NCE D13SRP works very well,but that's down to personal choice.

I found on my first Heljan 33, the body was really tight. The bodyside clips are just inwards of the bogie centres. Some slips of plasticard should assist you here to help get the body off. After that, fitting the decoder is really simple, with Heljan leaving a space on the circuit board to place the chip.

Hope this helps.

As Chris said above, the body only needs to be spread to clear the clips - the plasticard (or old credit cards) will stop them re-engaging while you persuade the body and the chassis to separate.

One other thing though: don't be tempted to pull on the fuel tanks to assist the chassis to drop. All that will happen is you'll pull the tanks off.

Yes, Lenz Standard+ decoders work very well in Heljan diesels, in my experience, as do ESU LokPilot and LokSound.

The only lights normally displayed on class 33s (before headlights appeared) were the headcodes. Technically, only the forward one should be illuminated if there is a train attached behind the loco. The small marker lights weren't used much in early days, and were often painted over later on, or even plated over if minor accident repairs were made.