Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

7th Street Terminal

stivesnick

An interesting and somewhat eventful debut for 7th Street Terminal on Saturday.

About 5 minutes before the show opened, both my yard switches decided they didn't want to play anymore. They are both Bachmann N Gauge models, a GE 44 tonner and a GE 70 tonner. My Atlas Baldwin V10000 peformed the switching duties during the day.

Would be interested to know other peoples experience of these Bachmann locos. Not sure what the problem is, which will take a look over the next few days.

So I guess some new motive power might be in order. So SW7s or S2s? What do people think?

Regards

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

ALCOs to the rescue!

Following previous post on motive power failures at the Kettering show some new motive power has arrived on the SRTC in the form of a pair of Atlas S2s. I like the black livery but it does make them difficult to photograph especially on dull days. Once run in and couplers raised to miss the track will likely paint over the CN wording.

Photo enclosed.

Nick

post-15737-0-72838100-1538818888_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Been 6 months since the last post...

I have repainted one of the interurban car sets into an orange livery, which was much more common that the brown livery of the original Japanese model. Also much easier to photograph - compare this with photos on previous post. 

A new locomotive arrival at the SRTC, this is a Microace JR 41-1 box cab. Have spent ages looking for pictures of American interurban box cabs with coupling rods, with nothing found to date, so this is very much going to be a Rule 1 loco. (like the rest of the layout) It appears to be a very good slow runner so ideal for shunting. 

Pictures below:

Nick 

20190605 interurban cars 1.jpg

20190605 car 6.jpg

ED42 arrives.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, long island jack said:

Have a look at some of the early Pennsylvania RR early electrics, class DD1,FF1

Thanks for this 

Very impressive locos designed for a Class 1 railroad - I was trying to find something smaller, but I could always assume that this loco had transferred from a larger railroad.

Nick

1 hour ago, stivesnick said:

Thanks for this 

Very impressive locos designed for a Class 1 railroad - I was trying to find something smaller, but I could always assume that this loco had transferred from a larger railroad.

Nick

Some Pennsy DD1 and B1 types transferred to the Long Island Railroad so there is a precedent there. 

Apart from locos with origins from the Pennsy and Virginian and a very early Baldwin, I can't recall seeing any other US electric locos with rods, whether inside or outside framed.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/05/2019 at 04:59, 298 said:

Some Pennsy DD1 and B1 types transferred to the Long Island Railroad so there is a precedent there. 

Apart from locos with origins from the Pennsy and Virginian and a very early Baldwin, I can't recall seeing any other US electric locos with rods, whether inside or outside framed.

New Haven and Norfolk and Western also had rod-coupled electric locos.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/05/2019 at 18:04, stivesnick said:

I have repainted one of the interurban car sets into an orange livery, which was much more common that the brown livery of the original Japanese model. 

20190605 car 6.jpg

That’s a common livery in Japan, too. Now your cars look like they belong to the Ichibata Electric Railway. I like them.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dullsteamer said:

That’s a common livery in Japan, too. Now your cars look like they belong to the Ichibata Electric Railway. I like them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark 

Having looked at some photos of the 1000 series stock on that line, I see what you mean.

Nick

• Like 1

On 27/06/2019 at 12:49, dullsteamer said:

New Haven and Norfolk and Western also had rod-coupled electric locos.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thank you, I really ought to pay a bit more attention to the Eastern Seaboard.

• 3 months later...

All

7th Street Terminal will be at the Warrington Model Railway Club show next weekend. Venue is the Warrington and Vale Royal College, Winwick Road, WA2 8QA. Close to junction 9 M62. Open Saturday 10.00 to 17.00, Sunday 10.00 to 16.30. 

Layout wise I have replaced the platform lamps with some that look a bit more in keeping with the period. Photo below which also includes the second Parlour Car (green this time so not to confuse the operators).

Do say hello if you visit the exhibition.

Nick 

20192909 new lights 2.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi 

The layout was due to attend the Spalding Model Railway Exhibition this weekend. 

The Club has put on a Virtual Exhibition - I have contributed some pictures of the layout plus a description of how the layout was built. 

Link is here:

https://www.spaldingmodelrailwayclub.org.uk/virtual-exhib-2020/

There are 3 other American layouts featured. Do virtual exhibitions work for you? I found the short video clips without any explaination a bit limiting.

Regards 

Nick 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nick_Burman said:

Reminds me vaguely of Randolph Street on the South Shore/Illinois Central suburban electrification in Chicago...

Cheers NB

Thanks 

I spent a lot of time looking at various photos trying to get the idea of a city terminal, so glad it reminds you of something.

Nick 

• 1 year later...

After two years of gathering dust, the layout has emerged and is at the Yaxley Vintage Festival this weekend. A test run during the week showed the locos still work, although the operator had forgotten how to run the layout and kept getting tied up whilst shunting the yard!

A few photos from today. The event is on again tomorrow at the Yaxley Scout HQ, at the end of Windsor Road, 10.00 to 17.00. Entry is by donation and in addition to a couple of model railway layouts, there are some vintage cars and bike, traction engines, army stuff and some farm animals.

The layout is due to appear in the August Continental Modeller and at the Spalding show later in the year. 

Nick 

220618 Branch train departure .JPG

220618 front view.JPG

220618 fruit factory.JPG

220618 General view.JPG

Yaxley vintage festival .JPG

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

All

There is an article on 7th Street Terminal in the August edition of Continental Modeller. The magazine also features two other American layouts; Franklin ( Maine two footer) and Bear Creek (HO micro layout)

Regards 

Nick 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...