RMweb

Curved Brick Window Headers

What is the best way to model curved brick headers? I'm working on a warehouse in 4mm using Slaters brick sheet and Brassmasters etched windows. I need to add a curved brick header over the windows but I'm not sure the best way to do it. I've been looking at lots of pictures of warehouses, and I've added a picture of what I'm after. Any ideas of how to do these? I do need a lot of these, so something repeatable would be good.

post-5473-0-07734000-1507226811_thumb.jpg

What I have done with some success is, to cut out with a radius cutter the top and bottom of the arch, and then cut the ends of each end brick with a ruler set to the radius point. Remove the arch, reverse it and glue it back in with solvent (just on the top and ends of course) It may help to de-bure raised edges made by the knife blades. It also helps I reckon to lay the plasticard on polythene, to stop the solvent sticking to your worktop. 

Obviously it's best to have your plasticard square on the bottom and left side, so as to mark where your windows are. And also to mark the centre line of them to measure the width of the window from.  This ensures an arch that is central and equal to each side of the window, which is crucial when you reverse the cut out arch.

Once glued in the reversed arch can be scored for the bricks in the arch, again using a ruler set to the radius point. 

I always make a drawing first and then measure from the square side where you want windows etc.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards, Roy.

Scalescenes do several colours of brick sheets that include just what you are asking aout.

http://scalescenes.com/product/red-brick/

I've tried those and I really don't get along with card models.

York model making.  

No affiliation just a satisfied customer

I've thought of them and it's a good idea. Probably the easiest/most repeatable solution to the problem.

What I have done with some success is, to cut out with a radius cutter the top and bottom of the arch, and then cut the ends of each end brick with a ruler set to the radius point. Remove the arch, reverse it and glue it back in with solvent (just on the top and ends of course) It may help to de-bure raised edges made by the knife blades. It also helps I reckon to lay the plasticard on polythene, to stop the solvent sticking to your worktop. 

Obviously it's best to have your plasticard square on the bottom and left side, so as to mark where your windows are. And also to mark the centre line of them to measure the width of the window from.  This ensures an arch that is central and equal to each side of the window, which is crucial when you reverse the cut out arch.

Once glued in the reversed arch can be scored for the bricks in the arch, again using a ruler set to the radius point. 

I always make a drawing first and then measure from the square side where you want windows etc.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards, Roy.

Thanks for the explanation on this. I'll give it a try.