Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Changing Loco Direction With Lenz 100

michaelp

I want all my locos to run in the direction my handset indicates but cant figure out how it is done with the Lenz 100, I understand the direction is altered with CV29 but after selecting CV29 I'm lost!

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Change it to an odd number.... Eg if the loco number is 1-99, then cv29= =6 ....change to 7

If it is 100 or higher then change cv29 from 38 to 39. (38 + 1).

If it was a decoder you hard wired in yourself.... Then you may prefer to swap the orange and grey wires at the motor.

Thanks for your reply, I will give that a go later and report back, I did notice that when CV29 is selected there are other numerals along the bottom of the display, what are they used for?

They are the individual Bits within the CV.

CV29, Bit1 is the direction control...

...but for reasons too complicated to describe here, Bit 1 is represented by the number 0 in Lenz world.

If you want to change the direction of a loco via your LH100 controller go into CV29 and see if the little 0 in the bottom of the display is showing.

If the 0 is showing press [0] then [enter] and the little 0 will disappear and your engine will go the other way.

If it isn't showing press [0] then [enter] and the little 0 will appear and your engine will go the other way.

John

Edited for a typo

Edited by John K

...but for reasons too complicated to describe here, Bit 1 is represented by the number 0 in Lenz world.

If you want to change the direction of a loco via your LH100 controller go into CV29 and see if the little 0 in the bottom of the display is showing.

If the 0 is showing press [0] then [enter] and the little 0 will disappear and your engine will go the other way.

If it isn't showing press [0] then [enter] and the little 0 will appear and your engine will go the other way.

John

Edited for a typo

Thank you for replying John, I will try that later today and report back, I thought I had learned so much with the Lenz 100 but it just goes to show there is always something else!

Whether the first bit is called ' bit 0 ' or ' bit 1 ' is a long standing difference from differing backgrounds or points of view.

Splitting the 0-255 possible values of a byte such as CV29 could've written many ways....

For decimal we use columns for maths with larger values on the left and ending HTU on the right ( then decimals...)

For octal, which was popular in some early computers, you could almost continue the same way, as 1 digit in 1 column.

For hexadecimal values a,b,c,d,e,f represent 10 - 15 decimal.

So for Cv29 we have options associated with specific bits of the byte, so they are often listed in sequence individually

( this is written out in lens documentation with decoders, even if less visible in the controller manual.

Direction value = 0 or 1 : hence changing odd to even or even to odd will change loco movement direction.***

Speed steps = 0 or 2 : 14 or 28 14 was the original and is used by LGB MTS handsets today, 28includes 128 option

Analogue or not: =0 or 4 : I prefer to leave this enabled as it allows testing with a 9V battery. *&*&*&

Railcom disable: =0 or 8 : +8 disables railcom in the decoder if present. 0 can only enable it if it is there 8-)

Speed curve: =0 or 16: CV 2,5,6 by default or the alternate (user) speed table. CV 3,4 accel decell common to both.

Short/Long addr.=0 or 32: very important CV...changes from the 1_99/127 original address range to the extended 4digit.

Not common. (64)

Not common. (128)

HENCE 6 or 38 are my most common CV values.... 6 for a short address loco and 38 for a long address

7 or 39 to correct the direction although on hand wired decoders it is better to swap grey and orange.

Whichever you choose, check that it is still correct for analogue running/testing.

Notes:*** the default forward direction definition has changed between early systems ( including LGB MTS ) which may also default to 14 speed steps, and later systems. This is why Bachmann g scale locos include a physical direction switch!

14 speed steps controls directional lighting differently from the 28(128) setting.... When the combination is wrong the lights will go on and off with each change of speed step.... Not visible with no lights 8-)

*&*&*& some people advocate disabling DC running to AVOID possible start up problems (runaways). I prefer to be able to check any loco with a 9V battery.

railcom is enabled for a system by the central controller cresting a 'gap' in the DCC signal, which then allows Railcom enabled decoders to respond back with information. Similar to the method used by marklin mfx to automatically identify locos placed on the track. Used by some integrated digital point decoders to report their actual position back to the controller, through the track.

Extended addressing also called long or 4 digit. With expresnet, the controller makes an automatic changeover between using short accessing for locos 1-99 and 100-9999 ....based on past controllers displays allowing 1-99 ( 2 digits ).

The nmra state short addresses for 1-127, then extended addresses. Some controllers give you the choice with leading zeroes for long addresses 0000-9999 (short 1-127). Ztc using lenz's expressnet did not follow lenz guidance, and make their change at 127 - 128. Therefore 100-127 is a problem area for some UK users who move between controllers at home and club. Roco followed Lens as they use expressnet.

And back to starting with a 1 or 0 as the first value....when translated to accessory decoders addressing when they are programmed by writing to CV 1 (or 513). Is the first accessory decoder 0 or 1 for points 1-4 ??? Depends on the system.

Edited by Phil S

John

Edited for a typo

Had a go with this earlier, there was no '0' and pressing '0' then enter had no effect, will just change CV 29 instead.