Youtube , shortline action with GE centre cab & Whitcomb

w124bob

Ohhh, that loco shed on the Warwick railway screams to be modelled! :yes:

At 5:26? It looks like their 101 (a GE Electric converted to gas) is abandoned next to it too. Also note the use of a Pole at 5:00 on tightly curved trackage.

Im sure it'd make an excellent modelling project even without the wires up, but what would exhibition audiences make of it...? It doesn't say "Railroad" and uses a local (to me) place name, yet it's one of those funny foreign railways...

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing, watching that video has given me a bit more inspiration and reason to crack on and get the baseboards built and track laid for the N scale shortline layout I've been planning over the last 2 years. It's supposed to be set in the Midwest early 80s, I've got an Atlas sound equipped Alco S2 which will be the sole motive power.

• Like 1

This is terrific footage - really inspirational stuff! Especially those side-rods and that overgrown track.

Does anyone know if the use of the pole is simply because of curve being too tight for the couplers or if there is another reason? I'd always assumed the pole was used to move cars on parallel tracks. Either way not easy to reproduce though I'm sure someone will prove me wrong!

It's just for the sharpness of the curve, knuckle couplers only have so much side-play: any more and they'd be useless in pushing movements as they'd simply swing apart and the cars collide. Remember that all forces taken up by buffers and couplers on European trains are channelled into the knuckle couplers for N-American stock and with longer trains, those forces are greater anyway.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure I'd want to be too close to the pole when pushing as I imagine it has to transfer some pretty large forces via a couple of angled interfaces!

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure I'd want to be too close to the pole when pushing as I imagine it has to transfer some pretty large forces via a couple of angled interfaces!

That's also why it's illegal. It was dangerous for anybody near the poling going on.