Some sector livery questions

Foden

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys, got a couple of livery questions from the 90s please

1, When did the RES livery first appear on 47/7s?

2, Did the /7s all skip the older red and black parcels livery and go straight to the RES livery?

3, When did the last 58 lose it’s Railfreight grey livery and switch to Trainload two tone grey?

Many thanks!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon. I wasn’t aware the Scottish pushers joined the parcels sector until after the later batch of /7s had been created anyway?

I thought they left Scotland after being displaced by DMUs to join NSE in an attempt to improve reliability on class 50 hauled services, to join RES later in life?

Pretty sure this is well covered by Griff's link and Simon's post but the way I recall it 703, 704, 706, 708 and 712 went to Parcels, 3,6 and 12 got Parcels livery. They did still appear occasionally on Wessex services.

I want to say that for the later 47/7 the answer to your 2nd question is yes. I believe they were in RES by the time they were converted but I have this nagging doubt, even though some 47/4 were already in RES before they were designated 47/7 so it would make no sense for them to be in anything other than RES at that time.

When the original 47/7s came south from Scotland in 1990, 47703/04/06/12/17 initially went to Parcels, of which 47703/12/17 got the red/grey livery in the first half of 1991. July 1991 saw these five loaned to NSE for use on the Waterloo-Exeter route. 47704 had a generator failure soon after and was sent back to what had by then become RES, it was put through Doncaster and emerged in RES colours that December. The other four stayed with NSE until the 159s arrived in 1993 and then transferred to RES but were never repainted.

As for the later batch of 47/7s, as Chris suggests, the majority of these had already been repainted in RES colours as 47/4s before modification and renumbering. Some were repainted at the same time as they were renumbered, particularly those dragged off various scrap lines to expand the fleet. Apart from the Royal pair, the only second batch 47/7 to operate in a non RES livery was 47783, which stayed in Intercity Swallow for a short time after renumbering from 47809.

I have looked through as many as I have for that era, and in the early 90s most early 47/7s seem to be still in NSE or Scotrail colours. 

However, here is 47703 at Worting Junction in either 1992 or 1993. The slide mount has no notation at all. 

post-4474-0-75252300-1514647156_thumb.jpg

• Like 1