Layout thoughts please.

MartynA

Thanks for all of your help so far. I have decided on points, baseboard and DCC. Now a quick thought on the layout. A 6 x 2 country terminus with exchange sidings, goods shed, engine shed, cattle dock and a station building. The old fashioned way of paper and pencils I'm afraid. Measured the track and buildings so I'm fairly confident it will fit. Any advice on my plans? post-32902-0-23786400-1514578190_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Phil. It is going to be 1st radius as I'm only going To run a pecket and Pug from a 3x2 industrial diorama to the exchange sidings. Main traffic will be direct into the station. Should have said it's a Victorian theme with LNWR stock and Lilleshall company exchange sidings.

• Like 1

If you are working in OO (4mm) then it all seems a bit tight to fit satisfactorily in 6ft. In my view it's more suited to an 8ft layout across 2 x 4ft boards.

Might I suggest that you lay it out full size using Peco point templates and sitting stock and locos around, before you go too far.

John

I too use pen and paper but there is something wring with your drawing,

The points are Peco 3ft radius length (19mm) in 1 : 12  1"  to 1 ft scale but set track width assuming you are drawing the track centre line.  Your plan is near as anything 6" X 2" on my monitor which makes 2mm to the inch (2.1?) so 4mm track centres rather than 7mm for Streamline  or 16mm long points for Set track.

The main line could usefully go right to the end of the baseboard instead of the platform at the buffers, most country stations I know of the track just ended beyond the platform with a simple buffer stop.

The goods shed road needs spacing away from the bay, in fact it might be easier to have the Goods shed on the Bay line or the Goods shed where the engine shed is and the Engine shed on the kick back at the bottom which otherwise would be a nightmare to shunt.

Operationally how does the Industrial loco run round its wagons.    Its an awkward one. I ended up with 2  X 3 way points and three parallel roads to allow my colliery loco to exchange wagons on my old bedroom layout.  its not easy   I might do a doodle later.

• RMweb Gold

Here's your design drawn to scale using Peco Streamline templates:

post-32492-0-33096900-1514616910_thumb.png

(I rotated it 180 degrees so the viewing side is at the bottom. Is that correct?)

All points are medium radius. Not sure if the double slips are as you intended or whether they are needed. And I might not have got everything in the exact same positions but it's fairly close.

The red dashed line is R1, 371mm radius. If the runaround loop line was separated more from the platform line (as hinted on your drawing) then the slip and the junction with the line to the diorama would move left and might allow the R1 curve to fit on the baseboard.

But even then the R1 curve would not be perpendicular to the edge of the baseboard when it leaves. Maybe that's OK?

I'm sure there must be a better arrangement - but I can't see it yet.

Edited by Harlequin

How about this?

attachicon.gifMartynA2.png

That's brilliant! Was struggling to get the industrial yard spur in before but that nails it! The short points make quite a difference to the length if the station too, seems to get a lot more in. The three way really helps and I even get to use a trap point. Seems to be a much more useable platform length too. It is certainly a vast improvement on my humble idea! I know there is a lot going on but I want to use this as a test bed to try out lots of new modelling on. I've been a bit 'plug and play' historically so this is a chance to build sheds, stations and scenery. It's also an opportunity to play with DCC. Thank you so much for your efforts with this! Edited by MartynA
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's brilliant! Was struggling to get the industrial yard spur in before but that nails it! The short points make quite a difference to the length if the station too, seems to get a lot more in. The three way really helps and I even get to use a trap point. Seems to be a much more useable platform length too. It is certainly a vast improvement on my humble idea! I know there is a lot going on but I want to use this as a test bed to try out lots of new modelling on. I've been a bit 'plug and play' historically so this is a chance to build sheds, stations and scenery. It's also an opportunity to play with DCC. Thank you so much for your efforts with this!

Thanks!

The 3-way point is a great space saver.

It might be possible to insert another trap point where the runaround loop rejoins the running line but that would make the goods sidings a bit shorter and move the curve out to the diorama even deeper into the baseboard (unless the 3-way could be moved further right to compensate).

You could simplify a bit further by removing the engine shed kickback and just have the shed at the end of the topmost spur, behind the platform (at an interesting angle). That would make the station all splay out from the incoming lines in a pleasing way and give you a nice space for non-railway scenics in the top-right corner.

Edit: You might also consider setting the main axis diagonally or even curving it (tricky with off-the-shelf Streamline points) to make a more dynamic design.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Harlequin, (Phil)

Which software package did you use for this design. Not seen an output like this before, nice and clear.

Dave

I'm using a normal drawing program for exactly that reason: To get cleaner, clearer output than the dedicated track planning apps (and closer to the sort of track plans you see published in the magazines).

There's more info here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126780-layout-design-in-illustration-software/

• 5 months later...

After much thought with all of your suggestions, I have reviews my plan and gone for a 8x4 over two boards. I would love to hear your thoughts and advice. Two pictures split near the board join. Mainline goes from top right to a balloon loop. Exchange sidings are for the second radius curve they will go to an industrial site with a Lilleshall Peckett. My requirements were a exchange sidings and a 3 coach platform. Small goods sheds and cattle dock.

post-32902-0-57503700-1529515675_thumb.jpg

post-32902-0-00977100-1529515692_thumb.jpg