Powell Duffryn -ASW Blackadder Dimensions

Just wondered if anyone had any links to the drawings or dimensions of the Powell Duffryn converted ASW Blackadder wagons that were built on old Shell tank wagon chassis in the late 1980's?

Many thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Built this wagon many years ago , had no dimensions back then , just judged the size , I can measure it for you and give you my dimensions , I have the DEMU drawing also and the sizes in another book will try and find them and post

So between all the known sizes should be able to make a wagon that looks right!

post-19557-0-75924700-1516318605_thumb.jpg

Built this wagon many years ago , had no dimensions back then , just judged the size , I can measure it for you and give you my dimensions , I have the DEMU drawing also and the sizes in another book will try and find them and post

So between all the known sizes should be able to make a wagon that looks right!

post-19557-0-75924700-1516318605_thumb.jpg

post-19557-0-58179100-1516318864_thumb.jpg

Don't forget the "Red Adders" !!!

Built for internal use between the ASW Tremorfa Works and the scrap yard of Allied Bird Fragmentisers (across the road from the works) the bodywork is virtually identical to the Powell Duffryn  'Black Adders' which also entered internal use at ASW when the larger bogie JXAs were introduced.

However, they retained the original suspension.

BF975, formerly PR58776, is seen at Tremorfa in happier times, 2nd. March 1990.

Brian R

PS

my brother Paul, ( 'naturol' of this parish ) has all my hard copy notes on these wagons, which may contain an estimated dimenstioned sketch of the PD wagons.

post-1599-0-67838800-1516363233.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would imagine that, if you were basing your model on a tank wagon chassis (Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster?) the dimensions are pretty much prescribed for you, aren't they?  Baz's look pretty much spot on to me.  Then again I would not describe my approach to fine scale as being particularly disciplined...

The Hornby or Bachmann 45t tanker chassis would be closest, as you say once you have the chassis the rest of the dimensions follow. I think Nigel Burkin did a Blackadder in one of his wagon modelling books but I don't know how much it contains in the way of prototype information

Nick

British Railway Modelling

Book No.7

"Building Modern 4mm Scale Wagons "

By Nigel Burkin

Contains a very good, illustrated detailed account of how Nigel Burkin scratchbuilt one of the wagons from the PDUF4500 - PDUF4559 series, on a proprietary underframe ( Bachmann TTA ).

Brian R