What was the luggage label printing machine called?

spikey

Back in the 1950's, a lot of stations still boasted a working example of the Dymo machine's great grandfather.  It was a cast-iron cabinet with the letters of the alphabet (and possibly also the numbers 0-9) arranged upon it like a clock face with a large brass pointer in the middle of it.  You put your penny in the slot, rotated the pointer to the character of your choice, pushed down a handle on the side, and by repeating the process, you produced a strip of thin zinc with your name or whatever embossed upon it.  That was supposed to be a luggage label.

I'd wager those machines were Victorian, and when I were a lad they were mainly patronised by bored trainspotters. But I never knew what they were called.  Can anyone enlighten me?

• RMweb Premium

Back in the 1950's, a lot of stations still boasted a working example of the Dymo machine's great grandfather.  It was a cast-iron cabinet with the letters of the alphabet (and possibly also the numbers 0-9) arranged upon it like a clock face with a large brass pointer in the middle of it.  You put your penny in the slot, rotated the pointer to the character of your choice, pushed down a handle on the side, and by repeating the process, you produced a strip of thin zinc with your name or whatever embossed upon it.  That was supposed to be a luggage label.

I'd wager those machines were Victorian, and when I were a lad they were mainly patronised by bored trainspotters. But I never knew what they were called.  Can anyone enlighten me?

Sorry I can't help with the name, but I remeber spending a fair bit of my pocket money on the one at York station.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

A BAC (The British Automatic Company Ltd)  "Print your own metal nameplate" machine

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_equipment

10 letters for 10p??!!!! 

Good grief!

Anyhow, thank you kind sir.  Another mystery solved :)

10 letters for 10p??!!!! 

Good grief!

Anyhow, thank you kind sir.  Another mystery solved :)

The machine shown is post 15th February 1971 as the price is shown as 10p - I can't remember  the pre-decimalisation price!

Dave

Naughty I know, but having spent your penny to get a stamped metal label, It was then possible to put a right angled bend at one end of the label and then use the label as currency to print off as many labels as you wanted, all for the cost of the original penny. The right angled bend prevented the label from being swallowed by the machine.

Davey