RMweb

Weights and Measures.

Charles

Evening all, and Happy New Year from Australia.

I'm wondering if anyone might expand my knowledge or point to information as to the history of the Chain in George Square, Glasgow.

When I say the Chain, I mean the installation of a, presumably brass, presumably 22 yards long, thin solid block, which I recall also included

measures for yards, feet and inches, and perhaps more.

It lies behind the park benches in the NE corner of of central George Square, near the Cenotaph.

I don't recall how I first learned of the existence of this part of Glasgow history, but I imagine it must have been through my association with the

Strathclyde University Astronomy Club, when I was a student in 2cnd year at Allan Glens.

I'm sorry to say I haven't been to Glasgow in 45 years.

I wonder if there is more to the Chain i.e. 10 Chains equals a furlong, I reckon that might well have fitted into George Square, so does anyone 

know if there was a furlong mark ?   (Funny how things appear bigger with the mind of a child).

Does anyone know where this installation has its provenance?

I have a very vague recollection that such installations were, at least fairly, common.

So that's the measuring, does anyone know what we might have done about weight ?  In a similarly public fashion.

I'd be very chuffed indeed if you didn't know the Chain was there, and you could go to see it now.

Best regards

Charles

The George Square installation was a modern attempt (1882) to give public access to imperial measurements. More info here - http://scienceonstreets.phys.strath.ac.uk/new/Measurement_Standards.html

Previously, most market places, often the site of a town cross would have the standard measure included in the monument. For length (of cloth etc.) this was the Ell.The Scottish Parliament had tried to standardise this in 1661 to 37 Scots inches, but variation continues across the country. The mile was generally considered the length of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, from the Castle to Holyrood Palace, making it somewhat longer than the English mile.

For liquids, eight jougs or Scots pints made up a Scots gallon. The Scots pint and the Scots gallon were both around three times the volume of their English equivalents.