MICKLEOVER (Derby) 7mm Narrow Gauge 27th January 2018

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

The Trent Valley Area Group would like to invite all members, friends and other railway modellers to their Open Day on 27th January. Please note that this is at a new venue. The hall we used last year is unavailable and so we will be at St John's Church - full details below. For many years this was the home of the St John's Mickleover Model Railway Group which I joined in 1981 and met Paul Martin and Phil Traxson who were both Festiniog volunteers and I was introduced to narrow gauge prototype and NG modelling.

Trade support already agreed with Association Sales, Second-Hand Sales, EDM Models and Port Wynnstay Models. There have already been a number of offers of layouts, displays, demos etc and I will post these in a day or two

Anyone else wishing to bring a layout, model display, demonstration, items for sale etc should contact Mike Bellamy by email mike.bellamy@btinternet.com as soon as possible with their details as we have a smaller room this year and may not be able to accommodate as many as last time.

TRENT VALLEY AREA GROUP

MICKLEOVER (DERBY) OPEN DAY

St JOHN'S CHURCH

DEVONSHIRE DRIVE

MICKLEOVER

DERBY

DE3 9HD

SATURDAY 27TH JANUARY 2018

OPEN 10.00am to 4.00pm

ADMISSION £4.

WEBSITE http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Admin/Shows/TVG3/tvg3.htm  (Thanks to Paul Martin and EDM Models)

Details contact Mike Bellamy 01283 733914 (evenings only) or email mike.bellamy@btinternet.com

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump this topic a bit.... those who are regulars to our event will be used to seeing Mike with his pinny on in the kitchen will be in for a shock this year as Mike will be escaping out the front.

My wife Liz has offered her catering skills to help us out, her form is in a previous career she ran the Talyllyn’s catering operation for about five years.

Liz’s first two questions to help gauge what to expect were 1) what kind of cakes should I bake? And 2) how many?

Details nearer the time, but providing the facilities are there, should be some more hot food options at lunchtime this year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There’ll be plenty of cakes by the sounds of things - mother Blair has been roped in to make some of her very nice lemon drizzle cakes for us - hope everyone is bringing their appetites with them!

I must admit it will be strange to not see Mike in the kitchen this year...

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was all bacon sarnies at these sort of dos. :scratchhead:

You can come and have that for your breakfast but our new Catering Manager has other ideas for   getting money out of you    encouraging you to stay longer by introducing a more varied menu - sausages and jacket spuds have been mentioned . . . . .  our friends in Yorkshire who have a similar event in November sell 'Pie'n'peas' which sounds OK but it came as a bit of a surprise to find it was a hot pork pie and mushy peas - pork pies should always be served cold, preferably with cheese and pickle !

For those who may prefer a liquid lunch, I have confirmed with 'The Robin' that we can use some of their car park but in exchange they expect to sell some beer to our visitors . . .

You can come and have that for your breakfast but our new Catering Manager has other ideas for   getting money out of you    encouraging you to stay longer by introducing a more varied menu - sausages and jacket spuds have been mentioned . . . . .  our friends in Yorkshire who have a similar event in November sell 'Pie'n'peas' which sounds OK but it came as a bit of a surprise to find it was a hot pork pie and mushy peas - pork pies should always be served cold, preferably with cheese and pickle !

For those who may prefer a liquid lunch, I have confirmed with 'The Robin' that we can use some of their car park but in exchange they expect to sell some beer to our visitors . . .

While not wishing to detract attention from the new catering manager, the Robin also does some decent meals at decent prices (usual disclaimers).

• RMweb Premium

With apologies for the delay in confirming details, please see below a list of those who will be attending on Saturday. 

Adamant Cement Works (O-16.5 from Lincolnshire Area Group as seen at the Burton AGM)

Bunny Hill Mine (O-14 from David Rae as featured on RMweb and NGRM)

Port Wynnstay Quay (O-16.5 from Phil Traxson featuring many of his own resin castings)

West Midlands Modules (O-16.5 with a combination of boards from several members to fit the space !)

7mm NGA Sales

7mm NGA Second-hand Sales

EDM Models (Kits, ready to run, DCC parts and many detailing bits)

Alex Bingley (3D printed locos and wagon bodies)

James Corsi (Laser cut rolling stock)

Colin Hayes (On30 Diorama with detailed and converted locos display)

Neil Blair ( Modelling demo and display of Standard Gauge models !!)

David Tillet (Electronics demo and Loco Clinic)

Mike Bellamy (Surplus items for sale following downsizing and house move!!)

David Rae (O-14 demo and information)

Refreshment including Bacon Cobs, Jacket Potatoes and lots of cake will also be available, plus there is a pub over the road

Further details in the topic above.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Just to clarify that Bunny Hill Mine and the O-14 demo will all be at the same place/table in the hall.

I dont want anyone to think I'm 'having my cake and eating it' on the space front when there is nice real cake to eat!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

A huge 'Thank You' to all those who came along to support our little event today. We had 65 visitors and so with the local group members, exhibitors and traders we had around 100 there. Special thanks to Liz and Neil for providing so many great cakes and Liz and Sylvia for taking care of the drinks, bacon cobs and jacket potatoes - at least we can say than no one went home hungry today.

Good to see David's Bunny Mine promoting O-14 and the West Midlands modules and it was a proud moment to be there when they managed to run a train all the way from one end to the other of their rather long layout . . . . . .

The main hall was a little tight and lacked seating - we hope to be back at our old venue next year where there is more space. Look out for a new topic being started when we have further details.

Mike

• Like 2

Thanks all for a cracking day yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed the day, although I did miss having a layout to play with so must rectify that... hopefully we’ll be back to the old hall next year.

Only took two photos, first up is the fantastic selection of cakes. Examples seen here baked by my wife Liz, Neil’s Mum and Alex’s girlfriend.

post-11098-0-48673700-1517150863_thumb.jpeg

Have just consumed the last piece of coffee & walnut traybake that we brought back. Very tasty!

Second up, to show there were some trains about, one of Frank Sharpe’s locos takes a turn on the Adamant Cement Works.

post-11098-0-21812100-1517150967_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The day and the cakes were very enjoyable, thanks to the makers & the organizers, another friendly gathering. It was good to meet quite a number of people interested in 014 [and others] around the Bunny Mine table.

Dava