Midland Class 1377 drawings

Spitfire2865

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere I could find some GA drawings of this class? Im interested in as built condition so any drawings of the A type boiler would be useful too.  

Ive already asked the Midland Study Center who dont believe to have anything themselves, and HMRS has something that might be of use.

However I was hoping there might be a good drawing of it somewhere I havent thought to check.  Certainly there is something out there as several kits have been made of it, plus Bachmanns recent-ish offering.  

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere I could find some GA drawings of this class? Im interested in as built condition so any drawings of the A type boiler would be useful too.  

Ive already asked the Midland Study Center who dont believe to have anything themselves, and HMRS has something that might be of use.

However I was hoping there might be a good drawing of it somewhere I havent thought to check.  Certainly there is something out there as several kits have been made of it, plus Bachmanns recent-ish offering.  

Thanks!

I'm sure you are aware of the article on the 1121 Class engines by Fred James, David Hunt and Bob Essery in Midland Record No. 11 (Wild Swan Publications). The 1121 Class were, of course, the later, longer-wheelbase development of the 1377 Class. They were built with the A1 boiler, which was the same as the A boiler fitted to the 1377 Class engines, but with 4" deeper firebox. So in the absence of the Derby drawings for the 1377 Class, you could make a reasonable inference from the drawings reproduced in that article. 

To produce the detailed articles on locomotives in Midland Record, along with the Midland Engines and LMS Locomotive Profiles series of monographs, James, Hunt and Essery worked in collaboration with the NRM, so my understanding is that the NRM holds the collection of surviving Derby Locomotive Department drawings, whereas the Midland Railway Study Centre's collection is from the Carriage & Wagon Department.

I'm sure you are aware of the article on the 1121 Class engines by Fred James, David Hunt and Bob Essery in Midland Record No. 11 (Wild Swan Publications). The 1121 Class were, of course, the later, longer-wheelbase development of the 1377 Class. They were built with the A1 boiler, which was the same as the A boiler fitted to the 1377 Class engines, but with 4" deeper firebox. So in the absence of the Derby drawings for the 1377 Class, you could make a reasonable inference from the drawings reproduced in that article. 

To produce the detailed articles on locomotives in Midland Record, along with the Midland Engines and LMS Locomotive Profiles series of monographs, James, Hunt and Essery worked in collaboration with the NRM, so my understanding is that the NRM holds the collection of surviving Derby Locomotive Department drawings, whereas the Midland Railway Study Centre's collection is from the Carriage & Wagon Department.

Thanks.

Ive since had contact from the Midland study center as well as HMRS whom both have access to the specific drawing I was looking for of the 1377 class.  They both did say there would be several weeks until they could access them.  Should probably check back with them...

Thanks for reminding me!