RMweb

Crumlin Viaduct's farewell appearance

• RMweb Gold

Saw this when it came out in a long closed picture house, the Plaza on North Road, Cardiff.  Not a bad yarn and Sophia was in her prime then, but the main point of interest was the viaduct scene as far as I was concerned!

• 5 months later...

Ive been looking at pictures of crumlin viaduct and i wonder whether the salvage of parts was sold on? Please compare the viaduct railings with the bridge at Crom Castle, Co. Fermanagh.

https://goo.gl/images/cvxq8X

..... and speaking of Northern Ireland, Crumlin Viaduct still stands in County Antrim : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumlin_Viaduct_(Northern_Ireland)

• Like 1

Doubtful the bridge was taken down by Birds of Swansea. Probably end up in one of the steel plants in South Wales.

Keith

Tom Bird, my great-grandfather was keen on salvaging any reusable bits of the things he demolished. My grandparents’ house was built with timbers from old minesweepers as roof beams. There is Birmingham tram panelling around various places I know, and many of his ex-LT buses ended up in Columbo. If it was worth saving, it may well have been.

• Like 1

Tom Bird, my great-grandfather was keen on salvaging any reusable bits of the things he demolished. My grandparents’ house was built with timbers from old minesweepers as roof beams. There is Birmingham tram panelling around various places I know, and many of his ex-LT buses ended up in Columbo. If it was worth saving, it may well have been.

Maybe we'd have had one or two more classes of locos preserved if the cards had fallen right for him as they did for Dai Woodham !

Maybe we'd have had one or two more classes of locos preserved if the cards had fallen right for him as they did for Dai Woodham !

Something like "We never got round to cutting up the locos, because there was this great big viaduct in the way to cut up first."  ?

Something like "We never got round to cutting up the locos, because there was this great big viaduct in the way to cut up first." ?

Three huge yards, where cutting locos was just a small part of the operation, and a big industrial demolition business. Also the first firm to use car crushers in the UK. The one in ‘Goldfinger’ was in the yard at Stratford, and my great-grandfather and a couple of his employees had roles as extras in the film.

• Like 1