RMweb

Sound for Hornby Class 800 IEP

goatdriver

Ordered the high bass speakers

OK:   I fitted the Hi Bass in the seating area within the coach, removing some of the seats.  The Hornby Sound area is total rubbish on this model

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty

OK:   I fitted the Hi Bass in the seating area within the coach, removing some of the seats.  The Hornby Sound area is total rubbish on this model

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. Appreciate the advice from the expert.

Robert

The two-chip version of the IEP sound will be available very soon. I’m just prototyping them in my GWR 5-car set which I’ve fitted with single Zimo dumbo speakers in cars 1 & 5, each in parallel with an EM2 in cars 2 & 4 respectively. Two-pin micro connectors pass through the corridor connectors to join the two. The dumbos put the horn sounds etc in the right place and the EM2’s give you the bass, and being less directional give the impression of several engines (in a real 5-car IEP engines 2 & 4 do all the work and engine 3 runs at idle as a standby, or so I’m told). The overall effect is very pleasing. As I think Charlie said you csn start in either diesel or electric mode, and switch between the two either when moving or when stationary. The project comes with the manual brake, and new and improved automatic coupling and uncoupling functions, making these more controllable than before.There are also four different on-board announcements, again recorded from the real thing.

Bif

Ordered the chips and speakers on 15th, shipped on 16th, delivered in US on 20th.  Can't beat that kind of service!

We do our best, it helps when we are in the summer quieter period, 

Thanks again.   Charlie & Ian

Edited by charliepetty

This is an amazing example of DCC sound at it's very best.

The combination of speakers that have been selected and installed, have produced a very realistic sound indeed, that also offers an amazing level of clarity as well.

In my humble opinion, this combination is taking DCC sound to another level, and is a fine example of craftsmanship at it's best. Well done.

Usual disclaimers etc.

This is an amazing example of DCC sound at it's very best.

The combination of speakers that have been selected and installed, have produced a very realistic sound indeed, that also offers an amazing level of clarity as well.

In my humble opinion, this combination is taking DCC sound to another level, and is a fine example of craftsmanship at it's best. Well done.

Usual disclaimers etc.

Thanks for those comments, its Biff doing all the work on these, its my job from now on!!!    Charlie

PPS Our New Class 450 has South West Trains & South Western Railway Announcements. This is part of our major upgrade on DMU & EMU soundfiles.

BIff/Charlie,

Brought the matched pair from Cheltenham last week.  Turned and part fitted this week and WOW.  It is a definite match for the superb HST matched pair and definitely worth every penny.  Impressed and want more for the Paddington set when this lands (will even sell my test train to fund it!). Charlie, promise the HP HST is o the cards, but got excited when you released this and had to have a pair...

Looking for some advice on fitting the MegaBass if available. Have run cable into cab, but wondered what success others had had, before I butcher the inards of the model.  Would appreciate any pictures or advice if happy to share.  I will share back if I do find my own path.  I had sat the speak between seats, but this is a fail, as it blocks light out of 1/3 of the trailer coach. Haven't looked at motor coach yet.

I was thinking of the toilet/vestibule area at the back, hacking this down to half height and then fixing in place.  At least this keeps seats in place for later passenger fixing, although this may compromise the sound somewhat.

Love the switch over feature between diesel and electric. TOP MARKS and must set a new standard for Sound.

CHeers

Edited by GEOEng03

BIff/Charlie,

Brought the matched pair from Cheltenham last week.  Turned and part fitted this week and WOW.  It is a definite match for the superb HST matched pair and definitely worth every penny.  Impressed and want more for the Paddington set when this lands (will even sell my test train to fund it!). Charlie, promise the HP HST is o the cards, but got excited when you released this and had to have a pair...

Looking for some advice on fitting the MegaBass if available. Have run cable into cab, but wondered what success others had had, before I butcher the inards of the model.  Would appreciate any pictures or advice if happy to share.  I will share back if I do find my own path.  I had sat the speak between seats, but this is a fail, as it blocks light out of 1/3 of the trailer coach. Haven't looked at motor coach yet.

I was thinking of the toilet/vestibule area at the back, hacking this down to half height and then fixing in place.  At least this keeps seats in place for later passenger fixing, although this may compromise the sound somewhat.

Love the switch over feature between diesel and electric. TOP MARKS and must set a new standard for Sound.

CHeers

I took the plunge and removed around half of the toilet and vestibule ends. While a bit aggressive, I wanted to keep the visible areas clean.  The speakers sit nicely in this area and the wires are hidden - one thing that Hornby have done is left a few tiny holes which I have used to push the speaker wires through, with the decoder sitting where 'Hornby intended the speaker to sit', as discussed a terrible area to fit a decoder and speaker, let alone a MegaBass speaker...

Just need to get some tack to replace the blu-tack holding them in place, but overall, sound is excellent.  Need to check sound volume, as the HST pair are screamers in comparison and really do get heard downstairs! Not up to milling a place for the decoder, but may get around to putting holes within the chassis within the toilet tanks...  

Pictures to follow of the messy unprofessional attempt!!!

• RMweb Gold

I took the plunge and removed around half of the toilet and vestibule ends. While a bit aggressive, I wanted to keep the visible areas clean.  The speakers sit nicely in this area and the wires are hidden - one thing that Hornby have done is left a few tiny holes which I have used to push the speaker wires through, with the decoder sitting where 'Hornby intended the speaker to sit', as discussed a terrible area to fit a decoder and speaker, let alone a MegaBass speaker...

Just need to get some tack to replace the blu-tack holding them in place, but overall, sound is excellent.  Need to check sound volume, as the HST pair are screamers in comparison and really do get heard downstairs! Not up to milling a place for the decoder, but may get around to putting holes within the chassis within the toilet tanks...  

Pictures to follow of the messy unprofessional attempt!!!

Can you bring it along to Taunton? 

Can you bring it along to Taunton? 

For real?!

Yeah could do and would be a reason to actually attend for the day.  No plans to chip yours this way then?  Be good to meet you after following all your work on here and Facebook.

Bryn

• RMweb Gold

For real?!

Yeah could do and would be a reason to actually attend for the day.  No plans to chip yours this way then?  Be good to meet you after following all your work on here and Facebook.

Bryn

Yeah bring it along buddy. I’ve not got my 800 yet so I’ll be nice to see one running on Oak Road