Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ok so having dug out the folder I (very unusually and organisedly) put the plans in, as well as all the Scalescenes kits too, my attention has now turned to what kind of layout I want to build. It's based on Hornby Magazine's Operation Build It track plan, more than slightly southernised, I'll be doing BR steam to diesel transition, so 1960 or 70s-ish

A synopsis

In 1879 the Stratford and Westhampton Junction Railway company obtained powers to build a line to the (fictitious) town of Stratford Market, Hants. The main purpose being to transport cattle and sheep as well as Ale casks towards Kingsport (Yes, I know, Shameless H P  Lovecraft rip off there. I just liked the name) Passenger services ran towards Kingsport and Milton-on-Sea (A rearranged New Milton/Barton-on-Sea dynamic. My Nan used to live in Barton) with stations at Stratford Market, Mouldon, Parkfield, Westhampton (!) Smallwell, Green Oaks, New Barton and Milton-on-Sea

Rolling stock was supplied by the LSWR early on, typically M7s on push pull sets and then the Southern Railway introduced Maunsell sets, followed of course by BR.(S) and transferred H class locomotives plus a few Standard 3 & 4 tanks. Market days see 6 coaches on all trains and tender locomotives (I haven't decided which yet) BR introduced the Cromptons which make a good transition era possibility.

At Parkfield was a junction with the independent M&SCR line to Lunsford Junction, known as the Terrace Hill line.(More on that in a future layout...) and a motive power depot in the junction triangle

The line was double track as far as Stratford Market and single from there to the terminus, Stratford Gate one stop further on, the station being next to the former Turnpike gate and the extended line would have run alongside the road for some distance. A small hamlet grew up around Stratford Gate station, the line making it this far due to the restricted space at Stratford Market, that station being very busy on market days plus the fact that it is on a viaduct over the market itself. There is a siding and cattle dock on the down side and a ramp down to the marketwhich allows unloading of cattle and beer kegs were loaded from a small platform just beyond. Trains run to Stratford Gate to run round.

The line was intended to link up with the  South Western main line near Basingstoke, thus forming a useful diversionary route to London, in the event the money ran out and the company kept itself solvent by selling its holdings to the north. The double track width bridge, space for a second platform and the bridge abutments beside the road are all evidence of this extension that was not to be.The road would later be re-aligned in the mid 1970s due to issues with the sharp S bend and the abutment opposite was removed along with the embankment beyond the road.. A stub of the embankment can be found in a field beyond the road.

The layout itself will be built to be compatible with the RMWeb modular design, allowing trains to run onwards once through the bridge. Means I can extend it later without making major changes. Possible extension could include the viaduct leading to the next station, the line winding past the backs of houses etc

Next post will appear once I have the boards. I don't have a whole lot of room and a 2 month old child so posts will be sporadic (early warning there)

Stratford Gate.jpg

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 4

Hmm one thought, I could learn how to build points and use the project as a test piece. Might make it cheaper and mean I can get all 6 turnouts for the cost of 2. Or thereabouts anyway. I'll start a blog once work starts.

• 3 months later...

I think if i build an open frame baseboard it'll be lighter and use less materials, I'm planning a second phase to include a viaduct, the idea is that once over the bridge the line passes some houses and then crosses a river before the next station (Stratford Market, which will not be modelled as I do not want to have to build a busy market lol) My idea for this is that it is the start of the double track section for the remainder of the branch, however the viaduct will only serve to move the track to the centre of the board for the fiddle yard, maybe have a cutting leading to the inevitable hole in the wall exit, with a few bushes and trees as a scenic break. I'll see. I'm nearly ready to buy the wood for the first phase which will represent the station area, it will possibly have an extension to show the earthworks across the road and the bridge abutments, I can get a Woodland Scenics learning set for that, although I don;t know how much road they make. I'll see. More to come soon.

• 9 months later...

To resurrect a thread.

Boards have been obtained as well as a massive job lot of stuff including a T9 and 3 Maunsells! A few coach kits and wagons too. I'm not sure what I'll be using it for but it was a bargain. AND Horny repaired the mazak problem. I'll also use this as an opportunity to explore DCC too.

A second house move has happened and actually looking at the stock I have suggests modelling the area in 1973 so a 33, maybe a Thumper unit for the passenger service. I'm torn between early corporate image, black signs with white writing or the more usual one, a bit of research here, I think.

The updated idea is to have the railway on a raised board of 1.5 x 3ft and a frame of 4 x 2ft allowing a ledge around the bottom. The station will be raised up and the Scalescenes arch bridge showing where the ground works are for the continued line. It will also allow me to put in a Faller loop to allow a few road vehicles to trundle around. It'll only be a figure 8 or something but the 30ft of wire in the starter kit should be sufficient and the roads made up using Woodland Scenics stuff. The Mercedes Sprinter van might end up replaced by a mk1 transit if I can get one.

I'll hand build the yard points and use Wayne Kinney's kits for the main lines through the station. I have yet to decide on either Peco bullhead or make up lengths of C&L flexi from rail and sleeper webbing. I'll see what I can get. The line will not be depicted as electrified though.

On top of that I have joined Daventry MRC which means it won't get under my partner's feet either so she seems happy about it, plus facilities being better available.

Landscape will be of the lightweight card lattice and paper, maybe with plaster cloth on top. Otherwise I'll look at using Sculpt-a-mould. I'd ideally like a water element but that might have to wait until any extension gets built.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update:

I now have the boards, rather more of them than anticipated.  Once I can get to grips with video editing software I'll start posting videos. I'll be getting another board though, a 4x2ft 9mm ply and getting it cut. 

The layout itself will have the track on the upper level and the Faller car system around the bottom. 

More to follow.

• 2 weeks later...