Help Requested - fitting speaker to Minerva Peckett

1965Paul

Hi

my entry into todays "most dull question" competion is below.

I have recently bought a Minerva Peckett, beautiful loco, superb service (ordered Sunday and delivered Tuesday), along with a Zimo Mx645R sound decoder and 50331 Loksound 20mm speaker from Digitrains, again ordered Sunday and delivered Tuesday. Have successfully fitted the chip and run the loco run up and down on my 1  yard long test track, 

I have also successfully fitted the speaker directly to wires off the chip whilst the body is off, but wonder how you can embed the speaker in the recess in the chassis as suggested in the Minerva instructions, do you thread the chip wires down to the recess, if so how, they aren't long enough (I think) , or can you solder the speaker to two short wires and onto the circuit board in the recess, if so which of the four pads?  

Apologies if this is a numpty question, this is the first loco I have tried to fit sound to, and can't seem to find the information on the forum.   

Absolutely no criticism of either of the manufacturers and traders here, this is purely due to my own lack of understanding, in fact quite the opposite, great service received from both,

Any advice gratefully received, and thanks in advance

Paul

• RMweb Gold

The "factory fitted" sound ones (ok, it's actually me doing them in York) have a sugar cube speaker in the body.

I don't use the underframe mounted 20mm speaker is a bit naff and you get poor response from it as the "enclosure" doesn't have enough air volume behind it. The other reason for not using it is that getting the keeper off with the brake gear.

I can't recall for sure but I thought there were solder pads in the speaker mount with wires already run up to the PCB.

Edited by ngtrains.com

The "factory fitted" sound ones (ok, it's actually me doing them in York) have a sugar cube speaker in the body.

I don't use the underframe mounted 20mm speaker is a bit naff and you get poor response from it as the "enclosure" doesn't have enough air volume behind it. The other reason for not using it is that getting the keeper off with the brake gear.

I can't recall for sure but I thought there were solder pads in the speaker mount with wires already run up to the PCB.

Hi Paul

thank you for such a prompt and helpful response,  guess that its only when some points out the obvious that it all falls into place, why am I struggling with the 20mm speaker when I easily (?!) put a smaller one in the body. Could you be so kind as to recommend a suitable speaker  - I have checked your website and can't seem to see a list of speakers - not sure if you sell them separately? I guess you locate them in the void under the pcb/socket in the firebox?

As a follow up, the speaker I fitted is a 4ohm, if my reading of a few websites is correct, I should get more volume from an 8ohm speaker - at similar amplifier settings and size?.

kind regards and thanks again

Paul

Give me a ring in the morning 01904 331973 and I'll sort you out with a speaker and a mounting pad

Hi Paul

good to talk this morning and thanks for the very clear and understandable advice. Look forward to receiving the new speaker and keep alive in due course. Probably have been easier to buy the full DCC/Sound installation kit from you to start with, certainly less confusing, but I learn best by making mistakes!

kind regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

good to talk this morning and thanks for the very clear and understandable advice. Look forward to receiving the new speaker and keep alive in due course. Probably have been easier to buy the full DCC/Sound installation kit from you to start with, certainly less confusing, but I learn best by making mistakes!

kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul.

Items safely received and fitted, sounds great, far better with the sugar cube speak under the pcb than the 20mm speaker. Thanks again for the advice, gave me the confidence to proceed

Kind regards

Paul