Cargowaggons - imported timber

Hello

I'm looking to model a O gauge small layout which consists of a Cargowaggon with a imported timber load.

I've seen a few pictures of this type of load on these wagons but wondered if anyone had anymore information on them, where did it come from? Go too? Etc.

Was there any other interesting loads on the open version of cargowaggons?

Any help would be appreciated

Matt

I saw open bogie Cargowaggows at Warrington Dallam freight terminal carrying sawn timber planks that had arrived from Luxembourg. 

Other loads carried included steel girders/pipes etc and also large tree trunks for milling. Some were converted to carry round timber from Scotland for chipboard or paper manufacture.

David Ratcliffes book is a great source of information on these wagons and traffics https://www.amazon.co.uk/International-Wagons-Colour-Modeller-Historian/dp/0711034044

Matt - I've just had a quick look through my copy of David Ratcliffes book mentioned above and picked out a few extra bits of information on the traffics handled by open bogie Cargowaggons.

The sawn timber loads from Luxembourg I used to see at Warrington Dallam were 'scaffold boards'.

The 'round timber' cargowaggon conversions carried timber from Keith, Huntley, Inverness and Inverurie to Caberboard at Irvine.

The 'tree trunk' export timber for milling into furniture was loaded at Longport and destined for Amiens.

Steel tube, coiled rod and section traffic was both imported and exported from locations including Shelton, Scunthorpe, Skinningrove, Lackenby, Longport, Hartlepool, Cologne and Italy.

Another traffic using these vehicles illustrated in Davids excellent book was fibre cement sheets to Carlisle from Italy.

Edited by JohnH

Thanks for that information, big help.

Certainly gives me ideas about what and how to model the loads.

Davids book looks a interesting read, I'll lookout for a copy of that.

I'm guessing once speedlink/enterprise stopped then so did most of these movements?

Matt

Edited by matt-b

Alongside the demise of Enterprise services, both DB and SNCF cut back a lot of wagon-load workings.

Amongst the loads I've observed on Cargowaggon flats have been steel slabs, rail, and one of the oddest, a pair of Tiphook container flats without bogies.

These wagons are still in use today on a number of flows:-

long-welded rail from Scunthorpe to Eastleigh and somewhere in Germany

60' lengths of rail from Ebange

as brake-force wagons on deliveries of new passenger stock

I was given to understand the scaffold board was from Austria - notice it is a finished product and not simply planks of wood. This one has Austrian sheets https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/cargowaggonflat/e1f7c8f61

Other uses amongst these 68 https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/cargowaggonflat

Paul

The scaffolding board photographed at Dallam had originated in Luxembourg but other originating point were available.

The OP might also find my short article 'Cargowaggon's versatile flats',  which appeared in Rail Express February 2018, of interest.

• Like 1