RMweb

Loco A to E exams

BR37414

I'm interested in simulating loco exams on my layout as a way to keep rotating locos across all working diagrams.

Could someone tell me what the intervals would be for the various exams, even right down to oil changes and other preventive maintenance (if any) on class 08, 20, 26, 37 and 47s?

Thanks,

Alex

• RMweb Premium

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59942-locomotive-exam-lists/

Usally the frequency was based on hours worked, so an A Exam after c50 hours worked and was a basic check that everything worked and levels checked and topped up as required. Every 5th A exam became a B Exam and so on.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59942-locomotive-exam-lists/

Usally the frequency was based on hours worked, so an A Exam after c50 hours worked and was a basic check that everything worked and levels checked and topped up as required. Every 5th A exam became a B Exam and so on.

Thanks for the info Cloggy. Gives me something to start with!

Alex

The frequency of these exams was follows according to a BR document I have on them dating from 1971.

A 3-5 working days 40 engine hours + or - 10 hours

B 20 -25 working days 250 engine hours +/- 10%

C 40 - 50 working days 500 engine hours +/- 10%

D 160 - 200 working days 2000 engine hours +/- 10%

E 320-400 working days 4000 engine hours +/- 10%

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Oil was sampled and tested to determine condition, so depending on what was found in it, determined when it was changed. It was checked at depot for fuel dilution though, and if it was over 5% fuel it would be changed immediately.

Dave

All I know is the fitter and his mate at Burton on Trent loco could do an A exam in about half an hour, leaving plenty of time for beer, fish"n"chips and couple of games of cards, B exams were also done their. They would also do brake blocking, change buffers and a few other minor jobs, anything else went to Toton or occasionally Derby. They did an 8am to 4pm shift one week followed by I think a ten hour night shift 8pm start. One turn was covered by a Derby pair of fitters whilst the other shift were a pair of old hand Burton fitters,brothers Jack and George. Only one driver was based there after 1976 and he worked the regular day turn tripper/shunt engine job. Coalville ferry turns were a day shift driver and 2nd man and 2 night turns, 18.00 and 22.00.

47205 at Burton, circa July 1980. Theres an office, store and sand room behind the loco.

post-13564-0-83692100-1540498831.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 3

I forgot to mention Burton had no road access so apart from diesel in 45ton tta wagons, buffers, brake blocks and 45 gallon oil drums arrived in open 5plank or steel highside wagons. Sand in bags came in various 16 ton vans everything unloaded by hand , the open wagons went out loaded with used blocks, empty drums and broken buffers with the vans going out empty. If you look next to the fuel pump to the right is a trolley with a drum of antifreeze and an electric pump, this was for class 56 locos which required an antifreeze additive for the coolant system.