Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GWR Timber Carriage Shed details pleases

Tallpaul69

I was seeking information about Slough Timber Carriage Shed, but unfortunately no one could help.

So assuming that the GWR love of "standardization" included such structures, I am seeking pictures and plans for any such carriage shed anywhere on the GWR?

Suggestions for sources of such information will help even if you do not have the information yourself.

Many thanks

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Paul,

I think Watlington had one!

Khris

Watlington did have a Carriage Shed but it appears to be more of a ‘Dutch Barn’ type of construction. Pictures in the OPC book ‘The Watlington Branch’ show a timber construction clad in corrugated iron with the lower half of the side walls open to the elements.

Paul

It might be worth looking at this site:

https://nr.mediastorehouse.com

If what you are looking for isn't available, at the moment, the Network Rail archivist will check their store. They have a multitude of plans for structures that no longer exist.

I am currently waiting for them to scan plans they have found for a long demolished GWR goods shed.

• Like 1

Paul

Might I suggest you consider a couple of thoughts.

I think it would be a good idea if you got the moderators to combine all your various threads into a single topic.  A scatter-gun approach often leads to hacking off those who might be otherwise in a position to help. (See Miss Prism's post above!)

Secondly, it would help if you could let us know what you do know, so that we can concentrate on extending your knowledge, and not having to go through unnecessary research.  For example, I quickly came upon this picture on eBay:

post-189-0-78169000-1541169571_thumb.jpg

Not having a clue about Slough, but taking the seller's description as correct, this shows a fairly large, three track structure, as can be seen on the maps that have been discussed in some of your other threads. Thus Watlington, although matching your request, is not altogether helpful, but if you had posted a description, rough dimensions scaled off the large scale OS maps and perhaps a photo, like the one I found, others might have been in a position to recognise similar GWR structures and point you intheright direction.

Paul

Might I suggest you consider a couple of thoughts.

I think it would be a good idea if you got the moderators to combine all your various threads into a single topic.  A scatter-gun approach often leads to hacking off those who might be otherwise in a position to help. (See Miss Prism's post above!)

Secondly, it would help if you could let us know what you do know, so that we can concentrate on extending your knowledge, and not having to go through unnecessary research.  For example, I quickly came upon this picture on eBay:

attachicon.gifslough carriage and loco.jpg

Not having a clue about Slough, but taking the seller's description as correct, this shows a fairly large, three track structure, as can be seen on the maps that have been discussed in some of your other threads. Thus Watlington, although matching your request, is not altogether helpful, but if you had posted a description, rough dimensions scaled off the large scale OS maps and perhaps a photo, like the one I found, others might have been in a position to recognise similar GWR structures and point you intheright direction.

Firstly, thanks to all who replied.

Secondly , I did not consider Watlington, which I was aware of, because to me it is iron clad.

Also, I was aware of the picture you found, but unfortunately in this the carriage shed is too far away to be able to see the details necessary to make a model.

So, what do I know about the Slough pattern carriage shed:-

1) It is timber clad, and probably completely of timber construction except for glass(?) in the windows and maybe also in roof lights?

2) It is approx.350ft long, with three tracks covered by a single pitch roof with a single opening at one end, and appears not to have any doors.

3) as one track seems to stop short of the back wall relative to the other two, there may well be offices or stores in that space.

4) The basic coach sets based there were WR "Q" sets of 5 coaches, 3 in the shed and one in the siding beside the shed, but at least 4 others of these were stabled at sidings principally to the east of the station, and others at Windsor and Maidenhead.

5) I haver seen other distance shots from the 1928-30 era taken from the air,from the north with the Horlicks works in their foreground and also some from the Stoke Poges Road. Again these are too distant to make out much detail.

So I need to understand:-

a) how the timber cladding was attached to the frame, what length of planks were used?

b) How was the roof clad?

c) What form did the windows and any roof lights take?

Thus closeups of similar structures will help.

I hope the above strikes a cord in someone's memory?

Many thanks

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

I linked this https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW021785 in a previous thread. The next 14 photos from here on all include the triangle and are taken ffrom most points of the compass.

This one https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW031193 antd the next 9 were taken in 1930, rather than 1928, and although the first few are a little murky, the rest are much clearer. Similarly taken from various directions.

Register on Britain from above, and you can zoom in as far as the grain allows

Beware of Britain from above, though, I have lost whole days on their site.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1