DCC for Brittania

Steamtrainfiend

I was recently given a tender driven plastic bodied Britannia. This being my first conversion I have been on a learning curve.

I have been told that the following should fit.

Zimo MX645R dcc and sound chip

PowerCube9 speaker

SuperCap17000uF Stay alive.

I have yet to pull the body apart. Before I do I was wondering if anyone has done this conversion before, how much space is inside the boiler, how big is the weight inside the boiler and if the above parts will fit.

Any pics greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

James

Edited by Steamtrainfiend

Assuming it is 00 gauge, then it it is probably a Triang-Hornby or Hornby loco with the latter either being made in England or China......

There have benn many subtle differences I've the years in their construction before finally changing to DCC ready or sound fitted loco drive versions ( and very early triang / triang-Hornby versions were also locondrive but with the large and relatively current hungry x04 motor .

Early tender drive use bent tabs and screws to link power from the track to the motor...and the isolation you MUST isolate them and CHECK it with a meter before risking Amy new decoder !!!!

Personally I would not invest that amount into such an old chassis... But buy the modern version ... Especially if this was my first conversion !!!! ( And I started with converting them! To Zero1 when that started ).

As I recall, the loco chassis part, remained that of the x04 version but without the !motor ... So there is 'space' there but none in the tender. ...which would therefore require wiring between the 2 parts. But these older UK built models Also only picked up on opposite sides ..... Chinese production on both sides. The middle 'axle' of the tender drive tender is a floppy dummy.

Start with a better project ..even if it means buying a loco yourself rather than risk blowing any of that 'wishlist'. Make sure you buy a meter if you haven't already..

To quote an old Meccano magazine cartoon ....customer asking for a return ticket ....reply was ' well I wouldn't start from here if I were you' .... Its very appropriate for your current plan.

Edited by Phil S