TTS decoder lights

bodiddle

Yes - use green wire switched by F18 on steam TTS or F25 on diesel TTS sharing blue wire as common positive with directional lights.

Edit - Be aware the lighting functions are not protected so ensure load on each function does not exceed 100mA by use of suitable resistor(s).

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

A/ You could 'diode-or' it off the std forward/reverse lights so that the cab light was on whenever the running lights were on..... Whilst it may not be the best or practical option in this case, it is always a usable technique (physically):

To wire-OR off the fwd/rev function outputs, as well as any directional light use ( so watch for total current); connect diodes ( cathodes marked by a bar, to the white and yellow leads ) to the cab Led and resistor which are in series with each other, and then connected to the blue....

Or B/ use a function decoder for the cab light ..... And map it to a 'sound function' in your accessible range that is of little interest and only runs 'once'

This should cost much less than the ESU / Zimo option ......at the expense of some space. ALTERNATIVELY program it/ them only to come on when the motor speed is zero ????

I highly recommend you use a 2kohm (2000Ohm) resistor for cab lighting, these are never that bright in real life, and using any decoder dimming function causes flicker.

EDIT,

I Meant 2.2KOhm (2200 Ohms)

Edited by Graham Radish

I highly recommend you use a 2kohm (2000Ohm) resistor for cab lighting, these are never that bright in real life, and using any decoder dimming function causes flicker.

Hi,

I think the flicker might depend on the decoder - I've never seen any DCC decoder I've used cause flicker. Might get flicker if you use too small a resistor or too efficient an LED.

Regards

Nick

Hi,

I think the flicker might depend on the decoder - I've never seen any DCC decoder I've used cause flicker. Might get flicker if you use too small a resistor or too efficient an LED.

Regards

Nick

Its common for PWM to cause flicker at low levels of brightness, some people see it some dont it depends how good your eyes are, going below 128 on the CV i really start to notice it. So now for cab lighting i just fit 2.2kohm 0805 SMT resistors, it gives me a level playing field between all my locos. An the brightness level is spot on.

Edited by Graham Radish

Flicker may also be more evident when filming (video or film) a model railway due to interaction with the camera shutter speeds - as of course, may be loss of colour through highlight overload (mainly with single-chip camera designs) -

Any strobed displays - such as matrixed panels (probably the new train tech display too) - as with 'the real thing' may produce 'strange' illegible effects when seen via a camera.