Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aluminium mesh required for security fence

I am going to build some chainlink security fencing using the 'Ratio 436' kit, instead of using the supplied 'tulle' I want to use aluminium mesh. I had thought of using the stuff used for car body repairs but I don't know what size the mesh holes would have to be for oo gauge.

Sizes of mesh holes advertised are 1.3x1.3mm,  1.5x1.5mm,  and 2.5x3.5mm.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for the correct size that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Well I can't vouch for the actual scale precision, but I very successfully used mesh from a frying pan anti spatter guard! I know it sounds an unusual thing but you can get them in the pound shops in the cooking utensil section. They are like a big fly swatter with a handle and the idea is you put the large mesh area over the frying pan when cooking and the mesh catches any spitting fat. I simply cut the mesh from it with a Stanley knife. Then I cut the mesh into strips, then into individual panels. The panels were easy to fit to the plastic posts with super glue. I used brass rods across the top to mimic the barbed wire.

Tim

• Thanks 1

I used some plastic mesh intended as mosquito netting. It's a bit overscale, but looks the part and is already grey coloured. It also meets the Grifone requirement of being cheap.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Thanks 1