RMweb

New User, Layout advice please

Hi Guys,

Just joined having moved into a new flat and recovered my Hornby track from storage.

Finally came up with a layout I like using SCARM, and would like advice on where to place signals.

The mainline runs anti-clockwise, with the passing loop also being the shunt space.

The 2 upper sidings are for general use (currently has my crane on it) while the lower sidings (with level crossing) will eventually become a maintenance shed.

The blue rectangle is the size of the baseboard (1830mm × 610mm) and what I've currently got set out (on my dining table)!

The layout is currently analogue, but wull eventually be DCC via Hornby eLink & a Windows tablet.

Hopefully this makes sense, if not feel.free to ask questions and I'll try my best to answer them.

layout2.jpg

20190410_210019.jpg

Edited by trucknightmares
Spelling corrections

• RMweb Premium

Fair enough. 

Ok, assuming you want to use colour lights, I think this is one possibility.  The main and loop are both bi-directional and signalled for both passenger and freight and one of the signals controlling exit from the loop is on a bracket to improve sighting.  Ground signals control moves to and from the sidings and I've shown traps on the siding exits which you may or may not actually model. You could probably use more signals, but I think a small layout like this could quickly become cluttered so some simplification is needed.

An alternative would be to make the loop freight-only and put the traps at each end of the loop.  Entrance to the loop could then be by position light subsidiary rather than the feathers I've drawn. That would perhaps be better for shunting using the loop.

20190412_120327.jpg

Thanks for the idea - my plan is for the inner loop to be one way (anti-clockwise) with the outer loop for shunting (leaving the mainline clear) and for locos to rejoin the inner loop.

My own thoughts are attached.

4A = 4 aspect signal

F = Route feather or Theatre display

GP  = Ground Position signal

RC = Red/Caution shunt signal

My main concern is where would ground position signals normally be used.

20190412_172623.jpg

orientated picture for easy viewing.

• 3 weeks later...

At the very least you need a main line stop signal so you can stop the main line train to let the shunt train have a run, but this is something you set upon the kitchen table or lounge floor rather than a serious permanent layout you could signal and add scenery.

The basic problem is that there is nowhere for the trains to go.  The inner line train goes round and round and the outer shunts and that's pretty much it.  swapping them is a major challenge. I would have a look at a CJ Freezer 60 plans for small railways and the like for more inspiration.   A simple double track oval would  be a lot more fun.

See suggestions.  331 has no reverse curves in the shunting area as reverse curves are a no 1 source of derailments on set track.   Better to use Peo Streamline short points as they are 24" radius not 18" but no longer than set track and take less space width wise

Screenshot (330).png

Screenshot (331).png

Screenshot (331)a.png

Edited by DavidCBroad
Bored
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wow, it's been a while since I checked this topic due to work commitments, however, i have now finialised my layout on a baseboard.

Fully DCC via Hornby elink and a Windows 8 Tablet. I'll eventually raise it up to allow the wiring to be underneath and out of sight, although with some strategic trunking, I could always ballast over it...

20190505_220731.jpg

Updated photo due to layout change.