RMweb

Weathering Limestone wagons

I am happy weathering locos, carriages and wagons and have a number of mixes that I use. However I now have a number of wagons to weather which carried Limestone and am unsure what colours to use. I have plenty of photos showing the weathering patterns but assume that white would be to harsh, so what colours should I use?

The wagons I want to start on are the Bachmann Lilleshall Co Limestone wagons.

David

62EEE108-1F0F-44C2-B475-40FADA19C5EF.jpeg

it all depends on the type of limestone being carried. Dolomite, used in steel-making and refractories, has a yellow tinge, like that in the photo. The Carboniferous Limestone found throughout the UK, and used in iron smelting, has a blue-grey colour, and the dust it leaves over wagons is almost white. I suspect the lime/limestone used at Lilleshall would have been the latter, usually found in areas with coal-seams.

• Informative/Useful 2

Brian, thanks for the clarification of the different types of Limestone. The Lilleshall Co sourced it’s Limestone from a number of sources, mainly from a quarry called Nantmawr near Oswestry and Presthope near Much Wenlock. The Lilleshall blast furnaces did not produce steel.

i will do some experiments and start with white and add a tiny bit of slate grey.

Thanks

David

• 3 weeks later...

I had a go at some weathering on my Lllleshall Co Limestone wagons, this is the first pass with more to follow once I have sorted out some transfers to renumber them. The Humbrol paint mix I used was No 34 White, with a dash of No 40 Pale Grey which just killed of the harshness of the white.

Comments please.

05045859-DC00-494A-B23C-6A336D4AE9AC.jpeg

9CD319BD-5CDF-4521-84EC-8B366B9A122B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1