RMweb

Rear light on Bachmann FGA container flats

Hello,

Whilst going crosseyed fitting those little yellow twistlocks to the first 6 of the 10 container flats I need (18 per wagon...) my thoughts are turning to the back end of the train where obviously I'd like to have a flashing rear light as per the prototype.

I've come across the Train Tech AL-1 which will do the job however I wondered what other options I might have?  I'm running DCC so obviously something permanently powered from the track (possibly via a cheap decoder - there's plenty of room inside the container for stuff) but on a coach or normal wagon you can just mount the light directly, but on these there's a gap between the end of the container and the mount on the end of the wagon.  I've chosen the "Bell" container for the back of the train as obviously it's on the end...

Has anyone done this particular "detail" and can advise before I make a mess of an £85 pair of wagons?  

• Funny 2

The physical solution isn't a difficult one, as you say the Train Tech one above is one of many, it's the actual fitting when it comes to this particular wagon due to the gap between the container where I could hide the electronics, and the end of the wagon.

5 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

DCC Concepts produce a set of modern end of train lamps

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/end-of-train-lamp-with-all-electronics-3-pack/

I've not used these - just know they exist.

Thanks - they seem to use 'super fine wires' that can probably be hidden easily enough with minimal effort. Being track powered too is a bonus and I'm quite sure I can use a three pack.  There's plenty of room in the container for the electronics if I cut a hole in the floor which will be hidden when in use, although to be honest I shouldn't really need to ever remove it once installed I will use something to hold it in place.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, cromptonnut said:

I've chosen the "Bell" container for the back of the train as obviously it's on the end...

8 hours ago, cromptonnut said:

I'm quite sure I can use a three pack

I'm saying nothing.

• Funny 3

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:33, cromptonnut said:

I've chosen the "Bell" container for the back of the train as obviously it's on the end...

A few years ago when we were painting up various containers for WL, we ended up with a pot of mixed up paint that was labelled 'Bell End Purple'. Naturally those containers do seem to gravitate towards the end of the train...

Doesn't help you at all with your lamp issue. However if it were me i'd be tempted to drill a tiny hole under where the lamp is due to sit and run the wires under the floor of the wagon then up into the container from underneath. Another hole underneath the container could be used for a small captive bolt to hold it on to the flat through 1 of the many holes in the deck (may need a washer too) as an unobtrusive way of holding it in place with the leccy bits in rather than gluing it to the deck.

• Thanks 1

Triple pack of FREDS as above are now in the post.  Will report back once I've installed it.  I guess it'll arrive in a few days, which mean I'll have "something for the weekend" to do.

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

Fred 1 successfully installed in the Bell end container.  Now it's tested and working, I can figure out how I'm going to do the pickups (hence the temporary arrangement for testing purposes).

• Like 2