Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ex LMS push&pull conversion questions.

With the arrival of the excellent(just my opinion)Hornby Stanier non corridor coaches and the rerelease of the Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2 in PP form I thought I'd crack on and get a coach done. A Jinty has had PP gubbins added from bits of tube and wire and is currently awaiting a renumber

20190625_142655-1.jpg.fac9db282df7389a8595924fda01028b.jpg

The coach is an unlined maroon example with a Comet end and will be numbered M24425M as here https://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/Push Pull YTT.html

Now the questions, this coach appears not to have the additional drivers side window. I'm pretty sure the window visible behind the driver(?) is the door droplight , what do RMwebbers think? Apart from a repositioned handbrake was there a seat or any other visible controls? I also assume the seats need a darker red than Hornby's fire engine shade!

I was lucky not to damage the coach apart from 3 of the 4 retaining clips on the glazing, I removed the centre section of the coach end between the existing windows but left plenty at the top and bottom to glue the new cab end too. Glazing will be from left over packageing. The duckets are solid so simply came away with chiselbladed knike careful slid under one corner, you might be left with a small hole to fill , I used micro rod trimmed once the glue had set. Additional bits to fit are guard irons and steps on the bogie under the new cab , Comet lighting cables and as mentioned in the link text a track pin for the horn. There also seems to be a drivers window wiper.

Finally does any know a scource for the PP end lettering? I'll post more pictures soon, awaiting the Johnson 2p with excitment (well a bit anyway)

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a section on the LMS Pull-Push coaches in the Jenkinson and Essery book. 

The Period 3 new build and conversions done in the 1930s didn't have a driver's side window.

There were some Period 2 ones which still had the duckets. 

I built a Period 3 (Left) from a Hornby coach with a Comet end. My period 2 one (Right) was a cut'n'shut from Airfix/Dapol bits.

2119161950_IMGP0020(800x565).jpg.6fb5446fb1792f25261721bed8f76287.jpg

The side window was an addition in the post-nationalisation new build ones according to Larry Goddard.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...

non gangway suburban BR livery first appears as full Crimson(carmine) and was lined as per blood and  custard corridor stock but  lining was soon discontinued  to save money, The Maroon 1956  non gangway first appear unlined  but shortly after started to be lined like maroon corridor stock.

Edited by muswellmetro1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here is LCGB photo 1966 on the internal views of M24449M a BR built Driving Trailer with the BR side LHS window (none of RHS) Any LMS Driving trailer would not have the side vehicle and from memory of cab rides in early 1960s the hand brake was more central and i dont remember the central window having the ??? Brake controler if thats what it is,, Can others interest confirm what they think  controls are   which i think are Left to Right ?? regualtor, ??sander?? Vacuum on window Electric Horn, Hand operated Windscreen wiper, Hand brake in the foreground by the adjustable seat  or in the central controler the regulator?

962372387_traininfo016(1).jpg.3e13fc484c2276bb37fc4ca4b75ea685.jpg

• Like 1