Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Gold

Well, I live in hope but my BR Green waspy liveried example, ordered on Monday is still yet to be delivered thanks to a delay courtesy of Royal Mail. Next opportunity is now next Monday............

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Got mine today.

Busy shunting the diesel stabling point.

a015.jpg.3eb16512840cf210a604f78a06de9cb4.jpg

Then over to the other side to move a parcels van.

a017.jpg.cd3fdd413c9b02d686bb2036cb2d8dc0.jpg

Of course the big question is what are the differences between an LMS Jocko (class 11) and a BR 350 (class 08) as I am not too sure.

a020.jpg.003eb7733310ee1e8f271ebd508e4f95.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 8

25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Of course the big question is what are the differences between an LMS Jocko (class 11) and a BR 350 (class 08) as I am not too sure.

A key difference is driving wheels size 08s have 4ft 6 inch driving wheels, 11s have 4ft 1/2 inch driving wheels.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Erm... is the answer one of these knows how to shunt, and the other doesn't, plus had a tribute song dedicated to them by this lot?

PopGoestheDiesel62.webp

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Got mine today.

Busy shunting the diesel stabling point.

a015.jpg.3eb16512840cf210a604f78a06de9cb4.jpg

Then over to the other side to move a parcels van.

a017.jpg.cd3fdd413c9b02d686bb2036cb2d8dc0.jpg

You cannot be serious man! 

• Funny 3

On 05/02/2024 at 22:37, meatloaf said:

Great video, ill be getting the green British Railways version. 

Looks like a nice space for the decoder so im pretty confident the HM7000 will fit, with maybe the power bank in the cab. Although it will have to have a Dapol imperium to begin with.

Only thing i didnt see was much in the way of lighting.

Hello,

I'm planning to fit a HM7000 decoder too but does anyone know what the rating of the built in speaker is (4 or 8 ohm) please ? I haven't unpacked mine yet so not sure it's in the supplied documentation.

Thanks,

Dave

Here is my progress so far on “enhancing” Basra. I have fitted the head lamps, painted various items to match the photographs, toned down the fluorescent red chassis and just had to add the horn trumpet. I think further work is needed on the chassis colour and the body needs some subtle weathering.

A couple of oddities came to light while doing this. Firstly all the cosmetic couplings are assembled upside down. The links would be standing up, if fitted, instead of hanging down. Fortunately the hook can be forced round to the correct position. The second is regarding the additional conduit to the front lamp. This is correctly molded to go on the left of the radiator, as you look at the front, but there is an extra hole in the footplate on the right hand side where the conduit would be located.

I also have the WD green version but have just realised that it is missing both rear sand boxes. As I have already fitted the head lamps, and as fabricating the boxes is relatively straight forward, I will not be considering a return of this locomotive. I will however make enquiries about spares, but I expect the answer will be no. The reason for mentioning this is in case this is a factory error present on others of this type.

basra2.jpg

basra3.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Albie the plumber said:

Looks like etched wipers will be the order of the day as they seem to be absent .

The prototype doesn’t have them.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Albie the plumber said:

Looks like etched wipers will be the order of the day as they seem to be absent .

Hi Albie

There is a good reason the model does not have any wipers.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/459859811926996453/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50576141@N03/39864440932

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_11#/media/File:Bridgnorth_-_12099_in_the_yard.JPG

They were not fitted to the locomotives when new. Only a few ER examples had them fitted about the time they were painted green, they also had 4 lights front and rear with a different conduit run to that of an 08.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_11#/media/File:LMS_English_Electric_350hp_diesel_shunter_12104_(8312217300).jpg

If you are modelling the ER in the 1960s check you chosen loco not only for correct livery but also if it has wipers and additional lights. 

For WR modellers the six 151xx locos also had additional lights and wipers but not the same as the ER class 11s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/51103502038/

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/12/2023 at 20:07, Southernman46 said:

The BR blue Class 12 (15212) MR-605 seems to have disappeared from the planned list - is this right or just an error ?

MR-523 BR/SR Class 12 15212 BR Rail blue with wasp stripes (Just the catalogue number has changed). Delivery expected later this year. 

Edited by VIA185
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, seven days on from ordering, still no show thanks to ineptitude of biblical proportions from Royal Mail. 

Apparently unable to deliver on Thursday and now today with a questionable attempt made on Friday. 

The wait goes on..............

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, seven days on from ordering, still no show thanks to ineptitude of biblical proportions from Royal Mail. 

Apparently unable to deliver on Thursday and now today with a questionable attempt made on Friday. 

The wait goes on..............

Rob

I suffered the same issue with mine, still waiting now....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

I suffered the same issue with mine, still waiting now....

Might be worth speaking to Kernow. Although the fault is undoubtedly with the Royal Mail, not Kernow there must be a reason. Kernow's normal delivery is somehow normally next day. This, as I explained to Kernow today is really unusual and,I contacted them simply to flag up a potential issue. 

The next scheduled 'attempt' is tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath. I just hope it arrives intact.........

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Came across this photo yesterday whilst looking for something else in Fred Castor's 'Bargain Bucket Finds' Flickr album (photographer unknown.) Thought I'd post it here if only to help me decide which version to order before it's too late, have spent too much lately and they don't really fit into any of my current projects but somebody mentioned earlier about 151xxs being at a certain Welsh docks which with a bit of a stretch of the imagination may have been lent to another Welsh dockyard ... just for testing you understand.

Class 11 number 12101 at Willesden.

(Hmmm ... 1 or 6 ??)

Edited by 03060
More waffle added.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Might be worth speaking to Kernow. Although the fault is undoubtedly with the Royal Mail, not Kernow there must be a reason. Kernow's normal delivery is somehow normally next day. This, as I explained to Kernow today is really unusual and,I contacted them simply to flag up a potential issue. 

The next scheduled 'attempt' is tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath. I just hope it arrives intact.........

Rob

Basra has thankfully arrived this evening! Considering hanging fire on chipping it till I've seen others get a TXS N18 decoder into one with no bodging..

20240212_185550.jpg.d5b7848f8d3ae37ff51614791375b726.jpg

Nathan...

• Like 4