Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Can one weather over enamel varnish?

A brief question (which I have asked in another thread, but realise that people who might know the answer to the question might not read that thread): is it possible to apply weathering over a matt varnish?

The reason that I ask is that I plan to renumber locomotives for my layout some time before I get around to learning how to apply weathering and then actually applying this to my locomotives, and I will need to seal in the waterslide transfers used for renumbering with varnish before doing this.

When renumbering my locos,coaches or wagons, I remove old numbers with a liquid Brasso impregnated cotton bud to ensure a polished surface to apply new decal too.

once dry, I use airbrush to quickly flash over area with enamel varnish to match original Matt or satin finish.

There is no problem weathering over the varnished finish coat with enamel based colours fr weathering.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

Yes. Some varnishes are better than others, of course, but I routinely weather over the top of matt varnishes (my current matt varnish of choice being Halfords matt lacquer, which is acrylic).

Adam

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have never had any problems weathering over any make/type of varnish as long as enough time is left to let it harden fully first. This applies to paint or powders. However, I have found that over time handling can tend to wear the weathering off in places as varnish is of course a hard surface - deliberately - to get anything to adhere to. So be prepared to touch it up from time to time unless you varnish again over it, which I don’t like doing as it adds yet another layer of thickness to the paint finish and can make finer details look thick and blobby.

Izzy

• Informative/Useful 1