Suitable slim speaker for a Vitrains Class 37.

Stormbringer

Hi all,

I've just fitted a Hornby TTS sound chip into a Vitrains 37 using a megabass speaker from a member of this parish. What I have done is drilled out the exhaust ports to allow more of the sound out.

This leads me to wonder if there is a slim speaker available slim enough to be mounted in the body of the loco underneath the exhaust ports without fouling the decoder etc?

Also Hornby state that the chip is for an "unrefurbished" loco which leads me to think it's only meant for 37/0 and 37/3 locos. Am I correct in thinking this?

TIA

Pete

quote: Also Hornby state that the chip is for an "unrefurbished" loco which leads me to think it's only meant for 37/0 and 37/3 locos. Am I correct in thinking this?

Yep later refurbished 37's  - 37/4 -37/5 etc had starter motors/alternator's, the original as built 37/0's used generator's 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

One or two people on here are praising the iPhone speaker. They're only a couple of millimetres thick. I have one that I bought recently but haven't had to open up a loco yet for other reasons to provide an excuse for trying it.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Personally I don’t think there’s much to be gained by having the speaker under an open exhaust, if the exhaust is sealed the sound will still get out though the big gaps around the bogies, the iPhone speakers do sound good with TTS though wherever you put them. The megabass which I guess you boight from me works best if you block up the holes at the back with blutack or black tack, it’s the nest best thing to having a proper enclosure which doesn’t fit in the 37. 

Richard

I'd agree, an EM2 speaker also sounds it's best when fitted inside on the chassis, the shell helps as a sound chamber, the difference is very noticeably with the body on or off.....so unlikely any speaker is gonna sound any better with the exhaust ports cut open.

Edited by tractor_37260
correct text
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Personally I don’t think there’s much to be gained by having the speaker under an open exhaust, if the exhaust is sealed the sound will still get out though the big gaps around the bogies, the iPhone speakers do sound good with TTS though wherever you put them. The megabass which I guess you boight from me works best if you block up the holes at the back with blutack or black tack, it’s the nest best thing to having a proper enclosure which doesn’t fit in the 37. 

Richard

Richard ,Yes I did get the megabass from you as I have the iPhone speakers.

Pete