Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modelling a OO Gauge Quayside

Being relatively new to railway modelling I need some advice. I am about to build a small harbour scene on a baseboard that is 4 feet by 2 feet. What I would like to know is tips and advice on how to build the raised quayside above the water level. I would like the quay wall to be around 45mm high from the water surface to the surface of the quayside. Should I add a timber framework with thinner baseboard material on top to represent the quayside or could the quay be created using polystyrene sheet material? Anyone who has created a harbour scene could they please let me know how they built their quaysides?

• RMweb Premium

Well, anything relatively stiff and light. Really depends on what you have available. By polystyrene sheet material I assume you mean a plasticard rather than expanded polystyrene, that can turn into a sticky mess with the wrong adhesive. Thin ply or similar if you have it. I used 3mm foamboard since I had loads of it. 

That may give you some ideas . Many other methods available but that one worked ok for me. 

4 minutes ago, Dave John said:

Well, anything relatively stiff and light. Really depends on what you have available. By polystyrene sheet material I assume you mean a plasticard rather than expanded polystyrene, that can turn into a sticky mess with the wrong adhesive. Thin ply or similar if you have it. I used 3mm foamboard since I had loads of it. 

That may give you some ideas . Many other methods available but that one worked ok for me. 

Thank you for the reply. I had not thought about using foamboard. I have sheets of A4 5mm thick foamboard which I could use. Could I build a frame also using the foamboard to support the quayside surface?

Greg

• RMweb Premium

Thats what I did Artisan. If you cut strips 40 mm wide and stuck them upright at about 50 mm intervals it would come to 45mm when the top surface goes on. I stuck it all together with pound shop superglue but needs to be used in a well vented room if there is a lot being splashed about. 

2 hours ago, Dave John said:

Thats what I did Artisan. If you cut strips 40 mm wide and stuck them upright at about 50 mm intervals it would come to 45mm when the top surface goes on. I stuck it all together with pound shop superglue but needs to be used in a well vented room if there is a lot being splashed about. 

Thank you.  That is what I will do then. 

Thanks again.

Greg

For what it's worth, I'd be tempted to have the main wooden baseboard at track / quay side level with a drop to water level.  I've seen this done quite effectively with a river at the front rather than the sea.  This method does mean that you have a firm base to attach the track.  Also I would use at least 6mm wood for the track bed given the length of track pins; you don't want a sharp track pin where your hand might catch it.  I've also destroyed a mini drill grinding disc getting rid of the sharp ends of track pins that came through the supporting thin baseboard and were catching on fingers.

An alternative would be to place the track bed on risers rather like an open frame layout.  Peco did an interesting booklet on building a baseboard - which may still be available?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1