Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Fixing Peco Streamline track and Points to Foamboard

I have used 10mm foamboard topped off with 3mm cork to form a raised area on my layout. On top of this raised area I have laid some card mounted paper printed cobble stones that I want the track to pass over. Under normal circumstances I fix my track to the baseboard using track screws but knowing that the screws will not grip sufficiently to the foamboard and cork I want to use an adhesive as well as the screws. As I won't be using ballast on the track I won't be able to disguise the small dabs of glue that I will use to help secure the track so can anyone recommend a glue that will strong enough to fix the track but dries clear?

Greg

• RMweb Premium

I am not quite sure the effect you are trying to achieve.  Normally cobbles would be laid to the top of the rail, not underneath sleepers.

However from what you are describing and my experience with foam.  I would paint the underside of the sleepers with a very thin layer of PVA and use this to stick the track down.  To keep things in place while the glue sets, PECO track pins work well and can be removed if required afterwards.  If any glue does smear out from under the track a quick spray with a rattle can of matt varnish will do the job of hiding things but you will need to clean the top surface of the rail off - preferably while the varnish is still wet.

17 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I am not quite sure the effect you are trying to achieve.  Normally cobbles would be laid to the top of the rail, not underneath sleepers.

However from what you are describing and my experience with foam.  I would paint the underside of the sleepers with a very thin layer of PVA and use this to stick the track down.  To keep things in place while the glue sets, PECO track pins work well and can be removed if required afterwards.  If any glue does smear out from under the track a quick spray with a rattle can of matt varnish will do the job of hiding things but you will need to clean the top surface of the rail off - preferably while the varnish is still wet.

Thank you for the advice. I thought that I would get someone query why I am laying the track on top of the cobbles. The layout I am creating is a small shelf layout that I am calling my 'Winter Project'. I know that the cobbles should be just about level with the top of the rails but for this exercises  it is, to me, of no matter. This shelf layout is in N gauge will be a dockside scene. It's construction is more of an exercise in modelling a dockside/harbour as I plan in the new year to model a much larger OO gauge dockside in my garage along with with my other two layouts.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips.

Greg

14 hours ago, wasdavetheroad said:

coating screws with copydex and screwing into foam board? sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. use long thin screws. or do I mean extruded polystyrene?

Hello. Thanks for the tip. A great idea.

Greg

You could try photo mount spray can adhesive as you appear to be fixing to the cobblestone paper that you have used so the photo mount will stick to it and as it is only on the underneath of the track won’t be visible.

Regards mike 

2 hours ago, mikeg said:

You could try photo mount spray can adhesive as you appear to be fixing to the cobblestone paper that you have used so the photo mount will stick to it and as it is only on the underneath of the track won’t be visible.

Regards mike 

Good idea. Thanks for that. 

Greg