Southern Railway Brake Van question

spikey

Cheers.  That's what I thought, but apparently it isn't !  A Google search on 38-400 seems to bring up several variants, including one with the white roof and large letters, one example of which is identified as a 38-403.  Then searching on 38-403 brings up both large and small lettering ...

Edited by spikey
more info added

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann catalogue for 2012-13 lists.

38-400 as SR brown, red ends, white roof. Illustration shows painted model but without markings.

38-403 as SR brown, red ends, grey roof. no illustration. So no good for the lettering in either case, I'm afraid.

I'm guessing the 2013-14 edition (which I don't have) is likely to be more helpful but the above might assist in knowing if the ones you find are correctly described.

Are there any later versions to further muddy the pond?

John

EDIT; Just done a bit of Googling myself and photos on Hatton's show 38-400 as described above, with large SR. No stock.

Also as 38-403 described above and with small SR.

38-400a as 38-403, but with different running number, current model (5 still in stock at Hatton's)

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, spikey said:

Cheers mister.  It now looks to me like 38-400 is in fact the correct number for the white roof/large letters one, and the information I got from a couple of model shops was wrong.

I think it's Bachmann allocating the reference 38-400a to what ought more logically to be 38-403a that may have caused the confusion.

John

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I think it's Bachmann allocating the reference 38-400a to what ought more logically to be 38-403a that may have caused the confusion.

Whatever, there's certainly still confusion here ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193263562809?ul_noapp=true

That's just gone on Ebay - it's apparently 38-400, it has the white roof, but no large "SR"!

ETA - Problem now solved, I hope.  I am assured by the very helpful Annmarie at Ron Lines in Southampton that the exact item I'm after will be on its way to me today :)

Edited by spikey
update