Forest of Dean question?

Guest WM183

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, WM183 said:

Curiosity - if i pushed this forward to pre grouping, say 1915-1920, what sorts of engines would have run in the Forest? I am guessing 44xx/45xx and the smaller saddle/pannier tanks like 2021s?

Forget the 44xx, they were a very small class of 11 locos with a restricted allocation.

Shropshire, the  West Country and Tondu in S Wales.

The England based locos were stalwarts of the Much Wenlock and Princetown branches.

All were based where there were steep hills!

The allocations can be found here:

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/262_4400det.htm

(However, the allocations in this website's list do not always reflect where the locos were according to other sources.)

22 hours ago, WM183 said:

Curiosity - if i pushed this forward to pre grouping, say 1915-1920, what sorts of engines would have run in the Forest? I am guessing 44xx/45xx and the smaller saddle/pannier tanks like 2021s?

You need to check the line's history, as at times I believe the Midland ran the Severn and Wye  services for 10 years then the GWR took over for 10 etc.   1915 was red livery for GW coaches not  Chocolate and Cream.   Churchward used red from 1902 ish to 1923. 

I'm reminded of a line in a Ben Ashworth book that says something like "...the only time I saw a 45xx in the forest...", so if you are going to be very strict about following the prototype, then a 45xx may spend a lot of time in its box. You'll be hard pushed to find photos of anything larger than an 0-6-0 pannier or saddle tank. But then, there's always Rule 1 to fall back on!

There's a photo in HW Paar's book of a train leaving Coleford station during WW1, taking troops to the front. The coaches in that picture were bogie coaches.

Gordon

• RMweb Gold

We mustn't forget that the Forest of Dean was skirted to the north and east by the lines from from Monmouth to Ross and Gloucester to Hereford

There are pictures in one of Neil Parkhouse's excellent volumes of the area of both  22xx and a BR Standard Class 2 on the branch to the cable works at Upper Lydbrook which is definitely in the FoD, so don't discount the fact that small tender locos could appear(however tentatively)!

Edit:  4564, which is on Dapol's list of  future BR(W) liveried 45xx locos was based at Gloucester towards the end of it's working life and is the loco in the Ben Ashworth's BR Steam in Dean book, shown towing a load of the Berry Wiggins bitumen tank wagons.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1