Point motor sizing

pnosferatu

HI,

apologies if this is in the wrong place, I'm currently building a roundy roundy in my garage and am in the process of putting in point motors. I've been using the Hornby surface mounted ones with great success until I hit a snag: I've got an issue with the size of one; the point itself comes off directly onto a 3rd radius curve and this means that my Class 47 gets caught on the profile of the motor and gets stuck. There is no way I can mount a SEEP motor or other baseboard motor as this point is on the very edge of my layout and so support is in the way underneath.

I can think of 2 solutions but need a bit more information and was wondering if someone here could help?

1. I install a PL11 but am unsure of the dimensions of it, it does look like its a lot lower than the r8243, but am not sure.

2. I install a Hornby baseboard motor in that little hut housing but I've not got a vast amount of space between that point and the curve above it so would need to know the dimensions of the base of the housing ( I can afford not to use the actual hut if that will snag the 47 as well, I could eventually make my own custom housing to make it look like an electrical transformer or something).

Can anyone help with the length and width of the r8015 baseplate or the length, width and height of the pl11?

Many thanks in advance

Edited by pnosferatu
Missing detail

I understand the problem, having encountered it myself.  I assume from your description that the point motor is attached to the curved side of the point rather than the straight side.  If you can find a way of mounting the R8243 to the other end of the tiebar, there should be no problem - could you add a small block of wood to the edge of the baseboard as support for the motor?.  However, it is worth taking a close look at the alignment of the motor with the track; by which I mean, is the motor slightly higher than it should be - something that can happen if using cork underlay or less-than-ideal baseboard material?  Or is one end of the motor casing or the back raised slightly?  Depending on the degree to which the loco fouls the motor casing, it is possible to grind off some of the casing but I think that would be a last resort.  As far as using the Peco PL11 point motor is concerend, please check that it can be used with the ponts you are using - at the time I considered it, the PL11 would not fit the peg on the Hornby points.  I have used PL11 with Peco points without any fouling but I don't know the dimensions you request.

Harold.

Sorry about the multiple posts - submitting my response didn't seem to be working!

Edited by HLT 0109
multiple posts!

I understand the problem, having encountered it myself.  I assume from your description that the point motor is attached to the curved side of the point rather than the straight side.  If you can find a way of mounting the R8243 to the other end of the tiebar, there should be no problem - could you add a small block of wood to the edge of the baseboard as support for the motor?.  However, it is worth taking a close look at the alignment of the motor with the track; by which I mean, is the motor slightly higher than it should be - something that can happen if using cork underlay or less-than-ideal baseboard material?  Or is one end of the motor casing or the back raised slightly?  Depending on the degree to which the loco fouls the motor casing, it is possible to grind off some of the casing but I think that would be a last resort.  As far as using the Peco PL11 point motor is concerend, please check that it can be used with the ponts you are using - at the time I considered it, the PL11 would not fit the peg on the Hornby points.  I have used PL11 with Peco points without any fouling but I don't know the dimensions you request.

Harold.

Harold.

Harold.

The dimensions of the PL11 point motors are-

L 62.0mm

W 10.5mm over body,22,8mm over legs

H 9.3mm or 13.0mm with the optional base attached.

The point motor can be connected to the point without the base.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...