Dapol GWR DIESEL RAILCAR CONVERSION

I’ve done this conversion twice and it is relatively simple . Briefly ( I did write it up in more detail in an EMGauge newsletter) .

To access the power bogie , place a flat head screwdriver in the side and in the join and gently wriggle . The cover will pop out . It’s held by two clips at the end .

The driven wheels can be lifted out and reused . I used a GW models gear puller to ease the wheels out on the original axles . Use an EM Gauge society b to b gauge .

Re the non driven bogie . Discard the Dapol wheels and axles . Replace with Gibson 3 hole 12 mm wheel sets . You’ll need to shorten the Gibson axles which I did by removing the wheels and mounting the axle in a drill . Then I used a file to shorten and restore a pin point . Again check b to b, clearance is tight but achievable .
You’ll need to fiddle the pick ups but it’s not difficult .

My two run well and have no probs with 36 inch curves and points .

Good luck .

• Like 1

Many thanks for that, I'm actually an EMGS member and have kept all my Newsletters although it would take a good search to find it. But I'm surprised I don't remember seeing your article when it came out, but then again, my memory is awful! Do you happen to remember the Newsletter number? I'll have a search.

And if the power driven wheels can be re-used, why can't you re-use the original wheels on the unpowered bogie?

Sorry Mike , I can’t recall the number of the newsletter but it was fairly recent ... about 6 or 7 ago .

The non driven wheels are too thick ( across tread and flange ) within the bogies . The Gibson wheels are fine .

Clearances are tight within the bogie probably because of the need to confine them within the removable valances .

Let me know how you get on .

Ken 

Hello Mike

im pretty sure it was a newsletter but I kept a draft . I’d be happy to forward it . I’ll try to attach a file ( May take me a while  computer skills not brilliant.) If that fails would you send me e mail details  , please ?

Ken

On 13/03/2020 at 12:41, VIDEOMIKE123 said:

Has anyone converted this model to EM?

If so, can you offer any guidance re dismantling the power bogie and whether the wheels need to be changed or can just be moved out. If new wheels does Alan Gibson produce suitable wheels?

Regards MIKE

I’ve converted it. When I get back home in a couple of days, I’ll check this out. From memory, the wheels pull out on the power bogie, as do the side frames. More awkward on the non-power bogie as the side frames do not pull out. I think I replaced the wheels with Alan Gibson wagon wheels, squiggled round with the pickups, but tight fit. If I find any different when I get back, I shall let you know. Cheers, Dai

just saw some previous posts - how did I miss them- and concur with process, except I just used a file to scrape the axle ends for the non-powered bogie. Not quite as professional as others, but it runs well enough! Smiley here

Edited by 88D
Addition

Ken, If that's a problem, send me your email address and I'll send you my home address via email so that you can then post a copy to me by snail mail if that's better.

And thanks Smiley, any help much appreciated.

Mike

Edited by VIDEOMIKE123

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Ken. In a small break from trying to finish the cloakroom (where everything that could go wrong, has) I tried the conversion but I'm having trouble getting the cover off of the motor bogie. Do you put the screwdriver in the end of the cover or the side?

Regards Mike

I've now found that I can get a reasonably large screwdriver in at the side but the cover seems to be made of rubber and i can move it up quite a bit but it still doesn't want to come off. Obviously, I'm a bit nervous about damaging it. Any suggestions?

MIKE

9 hours ago, VIDEOMIKE123 said:

I've now found that I can get a reasonably large screwdriver in at the side but the cover seems to be made of rubber and i can move it up quite a bit but it still doesn't want to come off. Obviously, I'm a bit nervous about damaging it. Any suggestions?

MIKE

The bogie sides can come off completely, as they are a slide-on fit. To remove the bogie bottom (which is the bit you’re on about?) tabs at each end of the bogie. Try one end, and then you will find that the tab at the other end works like a hinge. Much easier to put back on than to get off! Dai

Thanks Dai. I had tried the ends to start with but couldn't get the smallest screwdriver in anywhere. I'll have another look later but I'm wondering if this is a part they changed when they re-tooled for this latest batch because I'm surprised that it seems quite flexible/rubbery. But it definitely doesn't seem to want to come off! Can you remember which end opens up?

Regards Mike

Both ends open up, Mike. I don’t know if my batch is different from yours, but a flat handled screwdriver pushed into the tab did the trick. I wouldn’t call my bogie cover rubbery, but it certainly flexed quite a bit. I was more concerned that it would distort more than crack. I think my thoughts, fears and perspiration were worse than the actuality of working it loose.

I also worried about putting it back on. In fact, it was a doddle. Just position the cover over the bogie, press down with your thumb over the middle; and, hey presto, the cover flexed to snap back into the tab area. Couldn’t believe it!

Runs well, though I do find that this, and the Lima version, is a to put on the track: small wheels and overhanging bogie!

Thanks everyone, Ken did send me the draft of the original article and photos which have been useful but I'm still having difficulties. The cover is very flexible when trying to open from the side but the cover still won't come off, and I cannot get the very smallest screwdriver into the ends of the cover. I've now sent an email to Dapol asking for advice. Don't know if they'll help.

regards Mike

2 hours ago, VIDEOMIKE123 said:

Thanks everyone, Ken did send me the draft of the original article and photos which have been useful but I'm still having difficulties. The cover is very flexible when trying to open from the side but the cover still won't come off, and I cannot get the very smallest screwdriver into the ends of the cover. I've now sent an email to Dapol asking for advice. Don't know if they'll help.

regards Mike

Let us know how you get on. I’m sure the bogie will come apart(!), but who doesn’t get nerves when you’ve forked out loads of shekels which could be wasted by one bad move. All the best with it, Dai

Hello Mike

sorry to be late . I went in with a jeweller’s screwdriver at the  end of the bogie where there’s a rectangular slot. From memory I used a twisting motion . Although it was a jeweller’s type of screwdriver, it was a large(ish) by the standards of those screwdriver .

There  is a kind of mortise and tongue arrangement and you need to get under the bottom of the moulding to ease the tongue up and over. I, too, found it nerve wracking but it suddenly “gave” .

I’m not aware of changes in the flexibility of the moulding . The first one I did was about 2or 3  years ago and was their railcar . The second was the newer parcels version .

Would it help to look at the photos I sent as I tried to indicate the location of the screwdriver there ?  Sorry Grandma eggs .
Sadly this reminds me of working on my MG Midget ... first remove this nut ....and I couldn’t shift the bxxxxxr

Goodluck and I’ll follow events closely

Ken .