1980s Tampers. Differences and warning signage.

Flood

I have recently purchased a second hand Britannia Pacific 07-16 Tamper which I will be back-dating to the 1980s. The buffer heads will be changed to oval with the centre "small warning siren?" being moved to the left.

Scotland seem to have had more 07-32 Tamper/Liners, is there much difference between the two types (modelling wise)?

What I have noticed in the amount of signage present on the Tamper. I can make these from transfer sheet and taking the following photo as an example I have identified most of the signage but not all.

19880827-LondonBridge-73249 (36)

Cab side:

Gross weight       tonnes

Not to be loose or hump shunted

Maximum speed

in train formation         mph

Ensure sirens are

working before

servicing or

operating machine

Warning siren (also present on the front on many Tampers)

The following sign sometimes appears by the cab but is not the same as that in the centre sections of the vehicle:

Under no

circumstances

must this machine

be worked on or near

running lines until

a lookout man has

been provided and

warning sirens are

in working order

Side:

18.7m

41000kg

Danger

keep clear

Hydraulic Oil

1000 l

CCE

Department

Diesel Oil

1350 l

Edit: Thank you to everyone who has helped confirm the above details.

The main sign I cannot read is the red writing on the white background below the CCE Department label. Some Tampers have two of these signs in the centre section.

It is too small to read from 'photos but as I would like the sign to look reasonably correct if anyone knows what it actually states then that would be great.

Edited by Flood

27 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

The -16 and -32 are important. They reference the number of ‘spades’ on the undergubbings that do the tamping. Obviously on the the -32 they will be much larger.

Griff

The "spades" are known as Tines or Tools

The number usually refers to the number of Tines the OTM, -12 is 12 tines for OTMs use in 3rd rail areas, you have to lose 4 tines due to the juice rail.

There was an 07 Tamper which had double the the number of Tamping Banks, it could Tamp two sleepers  at a time, meaning the Operator would move forward 2 sleepers between cycles of Drive/Drop/Squeeze. It tended to work out of Eastleigh depot to work non 3rd rail areas such as Yeovil

Edited by Pandora
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Pandora said:

The number usually refers to the number of Tines the OTM, -12 is 12 tines for OTMs use in 3rd rail areas, you have to lose 4 tines due to the juice rail.

An alternative was to cut the outside edge of the outer tines feet off, so that it would pass down the side of the con rail. There was one tamper treated this way used on the Euston - Watford DC lines.

• Informative/Useful 2

I had a feeling it might be 1350 for the diesel oil, thank you Simon for that.

So it is the "under no circumstances...", hmm. I've tried to rearrange the word spacing and I can't get text to fit.

Would you be able to provide a photo of the lettering please.

The Plasser 07 OTMs were good machines,  their abilities on design tamps "to tackle anything"  without the sometimes hindrance of a computer based track design,  was missed by many senior OTM men who never really felt confident with computers.  Thye were taken off contract  about 8 years ago  a factor was  their perceived inadequacy of a 50 mph maximum linespeed, NR wanted only  newer tampers with a   60 mph linespeed,  in practical terms there was no disadvantage,  modern tampers are so heavy they struggle in the 50 to  60 mph speed range , the 07s would quickly hit their 50 mph top speed with power in reserve,   especially the 07s re-engined with a Duetz V8

Edited by Pandora

On 24/03/2020 at 22:17, Flood said:

Those two photos of 73311 are great but I still can't read the text. Are you able to make that area of either photo any bigger please?

No, enlarged did not help. However, in 4mm you will not be able to read a transfer that small.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lyddrail said:

No, enlarged did not help. However, in 4mm you will not be able to read a transfer that small.

Cheers.

I'm not surprised.

The Tamper has had the cab sides and roof slid apart from the chassis, is primered, waiting for some yellow to arrive and I have ordered some Experts Choice decal paper to make sure the transfers are at their best. I'll post a photo when I've finished it but that will be before light weathering.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed. I have learnt a considerable amount that has made finishing my model so much easier.

• Like 1