LIMA CLASS 117 T0 CLASS 121

• RMweb Premium

The Lima 117 picks up power only from the power (inner end) bogie. I can't comment on whether the bodies would be a straight swap but with squared non-driving ends on the 117 I doubt it. The moulded underframe equipment would also be wrong as the 121 needs driver's steps at both ends if nothing else.

The 121 should fit straight on to the 117 chassis. There will be a small gap at the shaped end of the 121 body where it sits at the square-ended bit of the 117 trailing end but as that is hidden it isn't a problem. there are sufficient body clips and supports to hold the 121 body securely anyway.

Going the other way (putting the 121 chassis under the 117) requires the shaped floor over the buffer beam at one end to be filed down.

How do I know all this? Because years ago I did a Craftsman conversion on the 117 to make it into a Swindon class 120. Recently I bought a cheap 121 from Hattons to update the mechanism in the 120 and make it easier to DCC. The 121 chassis replaced the 117 chassis with the slight modification mentioned above, while the 121 body was slotted straight onto the old Lima class 117 chassis.

Archived