Cornish/Devon layouts featured in Railway Modeller

Ben04uk

Can anyone help me. I'm looking for back issues of Railway Modeller magazine which featured layouts set in Cornwall or Devon either during the grouping era of the Big Four (i.e. 1923-1947) or the early BR period. I am aware of the layout Porthmeor, which was featured in the October 1997 edition of Railway Modeller, but can anyone think of any other layouts set in Cornwall or Devon during this period which have been featured in the magazine? There doesn't seem to be an index like there is for some other magazines which may help.

There was a model of Totnes over two issues (Jan/Feb) way back in 1975.

Kingswear in 4mm in April 1981 and Kingswear in 2mm in April 2008.

There was a spate of models of Ashburton in the early 80s, to the point where one article was titled "Not another model of Ashburton" or similar. There was yet another one in 2mm scale in March 2006.

Liskeard was a Plan of the Month in November 1979.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

Treneglos, a BR(S) OO end to end model of a North Cornwall Station set in the late 1950s / early 1960s appeared in the February 2008 edition.

Probably slightly late for your period but the infrastructure and scenery would be the same if the period was early 1950s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can anyone help me. I'm looking for back issues of Railway Modeller magazine which featured layouts set in Cornwall or Devon either during the grouping era of the Big Four (i.e. 1923-1947) or the early BR period. I am aware of the layout Porthmeor, which was featured in the October 1997 edition of Railway Modeller, but can anyone think of any other layouts set in Cornwall or Devon during this period which have been featured in the magazine? There doesn't seem to be an index like there is for some other magazines which may help.

I think part of the problem is that many layouts are not given a specific location in magazines. At least not in the Contents type of index that most indexes tend to use.

So they might be GWR layouts (no shortage there), but only hidden away in the text is it mentioned that it may be Devon/Cornwall. Try place names for layouts, you may have some luck there.

What about other magazines such as MRJ or MRC where the "North Devon Railway" featured prominently.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Premium

I think part of the problem is that many layouts are not given a specific location in magazines. At least not in the Contents type of index that most indexes tend to use.

So they might be GWR layouts (no shortage there), but only hidden away in the text is it mentioned that it may be Devon/Cornwall. Try place names for layouts, you may have some luck there.

What about other magazines such as MRJ or MRC where the "North Devon Railway" featured prominently.

Kevin Martin

Some layouts found that are generally GWR & maybe based in Devon/Cornwall (I'm not going through the issues to find out).

Edford P4 Mineral line Rail Mod 1990 (10):442

Walkham Timber Trestle 1990 (5):213

RotM - Oakford Rail Mod 1991(10):434 Layout is of a junction in Devon, with the branch heading to Exmoor

Highfield-on-Sea Rail Mod 1991(2):76 "West of England" layout.

PotM Torre - Rail Mod 1992(1):22 Ex-S Devon Railway

Tregoran 7mm Cornish terminus Rail Mod 1992(9):394

RotM - Jamaica Reach Rail Mod 1995(9):386 Based on clay loading at Fowey.

RotM - Trehayn Rail Mod 1997(7):290 Rail Mod 1997(9):424 Joint LSWR/GWR Devon

Cantend - Rail Mod 1999(4):191 Student layout Dartmoor area

Sparkwell - A section of the South Devon line in 4mm scale Rail Mod 1999(6):278

Fraddon-on-Sea A OO gauge Cornish branch line re-opened Rail Mod 2000(4):170 Rail Mod 2000(7):356

How about that lot for starters and I'm not the least bit interested in the GWR! There may well be others & that is from the 12 years of Rail Modeller only that I have indexed (1990-2001). Surely the GWR mob ought to be able to find more GWR layouts in Devon/Cornwall than those so far listed?

The one reported elsewhere as "Not another model of Ashburton"' is actually modelled from the "other side compared to all the others".

Kevin Martin

Archived