Stoke Gifford Freightliner Depot

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Tomorrow I'm planing a day out to Bristol in the search of a Class 70.

I'm intending to visit Bristol Parkway and catch a train into Temple Meads. However, I'd like to find Stoke Gifford Freightliner Depot and see if I can get some fots of a Class 70.

I've looked on Google mapping for the depot and haven't come up with any results.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Mark

As far as I know, Stoke Gifford is just the sidings behind Parkway station. I'm obviously happy to be corrected but when I went on the hunt for a 70 thats where I found it. It left the sidings quite early when I saw it in December. I know it was early because I caught the train at Westbury 05:50 to get there in time!

Happy Hunting...

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Pitbull,

That's what I thought but wanted to double check.

It's been a long time since I went to Parkway/Templemeads, so could be interesting.

So the Class 70 could be illusive then?

Lets wait and see. I'll post some fots if I get some.

Thanks.

Mark

The Freightliner depot is indeed alongside Parkway Station. It is possible to view the top end of the yard - where you may see a class 70 - or if you leave the station, walk down the station approach, turn left under the bridge then first left again, you can walk about 200m to the lane that leads up to the depot gates. These are electronically controlled but you can see what is in the yard if you stand by the fence alongside the gate.

Happy hunting,

Robin

Whatever you do 46444 don't be tempted to step inside the gate if you find it open, the local Network Rail bods are hot on trespass round there. I got 'pulled up' a few weeks ago whilst in railway uniform on legitimate business so be careful!

I think you can just about get a photo from the west end of the down platform where the official foot crossing is (but obviously, don't venture onto the crossing itself wink.gif ).

Nidge wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Back from my travels and guess what? No Class 70 to be seen!

Talking to a Freightliner shunter he said they'd all gone north to Scotland.

Thanks to you both for the info as well. Nearly, got into the depot by mistake but that's another story!wink.gif

Posting some fots soon.

Cheers.

Mark

Hello Mark,

I've seen thsi thread a day too late!

The last time I saw a 70 working round here was late March - since then they've move north. I don't know if there's any weight to it, but I heard a rumour the other day that the 70s are done round here until the next 6 are delivered, sharing them round for training etc at the moment, which seems to make sense.

Just seen you're in Northants, might be worth trying to get 70001 on the Intermodals on the WCML, 4M93 Felixstowe - Lawley St is through Rugby 19.35

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

Morning,

Thanks Jo/Pitball, wink.gif

I've heard about 70001 on the Felixstowe-Lawley Street and have been meaning to check this out.

Could be a another trip out. Does this train run every weekday do you know?

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I know it doesn't really help but I saw a 70 at Ipswich last Thursday so they aren't all up north... There si always hope..

002/003/005/006 seem to be regulars on the S&C these days. 006 should be passing my back door in about 10 hours time on Chalmerston-Fidler's Ferry 6Z63 if it all goes to plan. 002 was on this train this morning.

Cheers,

Mick

This shot of 70002 was taken from the driveway into the depot, and was taken from outside the gate ( and NR property ), which was open at the time.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, don't push your luck and try trespassing.

Brian R

post-1599-12743095149_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick and Brian,

Has that picture been posted to wind me up!!!biggrin.gif

Nice fot though Brian. Thanks for sharing it. wink.gif

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I've heard about 70001 on the Felixstowe-Lawley Street and have been meaning to check this out.

Could be a another trip out. Does this train run every weekday do you know?

Cheers.

Mark

Yes, this is an almost guaranteed daily job for 70001, it only misses it if there is a problem with the loco.

My office backs on to the Felixstowe branch and I see or hear it everyday. Here's a photo of it on Wednesday afternoon at Levington with the westbound working on the branch.

DSC2275.jpg

Martin C

You can also get a good view with a good lens from the "Pearce's Bridge" just off Hambrook Lane. Under no circumstances get this confused with Curtis Lane, you will come across someone more unwelcome than the law...or at least he thinks he is the law.

You used to be able to get good views from the embankment that backs on to the Cricket Pitch/ Playing Fields - Access via Brins Close.

As a lad I grew up in the area and you never ventured up Curtis Lane...I recommend you keep well away from here.

The recommendations dont get you up close and personal, but with some decent lenses you should be able to get something...assuming to locos are there.

70006 worked down to Stoke Gifford light engine today GE fans. Not sure which coals it'll appear on, hopefully 6Z70/4Z70 will return, as it was timed well to photograph!

cheers

jo

Archived