Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Willesden BTU

eyore26

Researching breakdown crane 1015 at KWVR I was sent this photo showing it in BR days at Willesden MPD and wondered if anyone could help me identify the tool and riding vans behind the crane, which I presume were part of the BTU set up?

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 1

I have identified the riding van as an LMS period 1 BCK to diag 1755 lot 320 similar to the ones at Nene Valley and Llangollen.

Can anyone point me in the right place for drawings of this variant as its not in my copy of Jenkinson's Historic Carriages?

5 hours ago, eyore26 said:

I have identified the riding van as an LMS period 1 BCK to diag 1755 lot 320 similar to the ones at Nene Valley and Llangollen.

Can anyone point me in the right place for drawings of this variant as its not in my copy of Jenkinson's Historic Carriages?

I've sent you a PM with attached images. 

It is the Llangollen coach DM395754. The last three of the number are visible left corner. 

I hope they are appropriate. 

Regards 

Guy

Edited by balders
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, eyore26 said:

Can anyone tell me what the interior of one of these looked like? Were the compartment partitions removed to create a mess space, for instance.

I would suggest try contacting the Llangollen diesel group as the van in the Willesden photo above was preserved direct from Chester in 1987 and used as their overnight and mess accommodation until 2018. It later became the camping coach. 

As converted I'd imagine at least  two compartments being retained for sleeping, and open spaces created for mess and kitchen facilities. As this was previously a mess and riding van for the BTU I'd imagine there was an additional coach converted to the engineering and tool aspect to accompany the ensemble.  

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=710

Possibly they may be able to assist with further photos of the interior as it was taken from BR. A quick search online didn't reveal any internal photos. 

Regards 

Guy

Edited by balders