Suggestions for developing a small terminus layout in N

jonhinds

Oxenhope is quite a useful shape for a model, short and fat by terminus standards, almost bog standard Midland practice except it's all more or less on one level unlike Nailsworth etc where the platform line climbs towards some projected but never reached destination while the sidings are on the level.  The trouble is its very much a one train at a time one engine in steam a bit like a shorter and fatter version of Ashburton.     Operationally the line would have seen more trains in the 1930s than in preservation but over a longer period, 6 am to 10 pm perhaps compared to 10 am to 6 pm.   Issue with 1930s would be locos, guessing Midland 1P 0-4-4T and 2F  0-6-0 tender locos?   Not exactly easy to come by RTR.   1950s would be better, Ivatts?  Its why people model GWR branch lines with RTR GWR locos in BR green livery which came in just as/ after the branches closed. 

Oxenhope is not a million miles away track plan wise to our branch terminus  "Haddenhoe*" , based on Faringdon (loosely)  Oxenhope is better in that it does not have an annoying kick back siding so shunting should be quite absorbing as long as you bring a train to the terminus ,  shunt out the outgoing wagons,  shunt in the incoming wagons and put the wagons back where they should be, loading dock, goods shed, under the crane, somewhere handy so the blokes can get to unload or load everything before the loco crew slopes off down the refreshment room for a brew or pub for a pint ( one at a time obs.)   Bringing Thomas up light engine to play with the trucks a la shunting puzzle is not something I can relate to, though Preserved railways may do exactly that on Gala days.

If you only have five feet in N or 10 ft in OO and don't fancy Minories then this plan is pretty good.  Ours keeps Father in Law occupied all afternoon as long as we feed him a train every ten minutes or so.  Especially if the are too long for the loop!

* I asked my son what we should call the terminus. He mumbled  "Haddenhoe" so that's what we called it. Turned out Haddenhoe was TeenSpeak for "I don't know."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/04/2020 at 09:57, Harlequin said:

You can stick with Oxenhope as a heritage scene and operate it any way you like!

The heritage aspect surely gives you some leeway not to stick to strict railway procedures if you need some excuse. If you want to run a shunting puzzle in the yard while there are other operations going on elsewhere that's absolutely fine - on your railway every day could be a Gala day... :wink_mini:

P.S. If it were mine, I would set it in the 30s so that I could have those really serpentine sidings and I'd desperately try to get the water mill and the stream in somehow. But that reflects my preferences. You do whatever makes you happiest!

I think this post summarises my outlook better than I could! Rule 1, etc.

It’s always Gala Day in my universe, and the station pilot is always manoeuvring another recently restored and painted engine and coach set from various sidings to the main line. So there.

Thanks everyone once again for all their tips and helpful observations. I’m a returnee to this hobby after twenty five-odd years, given that my first experience was running a Hornby Intercity 225 starter set around the small living room carpet as a wee ‘un. This was followed by the dawning realisation that a single OO loop wouldn’t cut it, and several disappointing weeks of strongly hinting that I wanted a Poole-era Farish set instead (to no avail). 

Planning this layout has made lockdown really fun! Looking forward to joining a club once this health crisis is over, and moreover actually getting to see Oxenhope in person.

In the interim, here’s a quick snap of my small but growing collection: 4F, Jinty and Jubilee Class all lined up on the IKEA Kallax. WD Austerity 2-8-0 is snaking its way through Royal Mail and I’ve got my eye on a Dapol Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T next (or maybe a BR 4MT 2-6-4T? Choices, choices).

9211BC63-F33B-43BD-B77B-CD641CF9B664.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jonhinds said:

I think this post summarises my outlook better than I could! Rule 1, etc.

It’s always Gala Day in my universe, and the station pilot is always manoeuvring another recently restored and painted engine and coach set from various sidings to the main line. So there.

Thanks everyone once again for all their tips and helpful observations. I’m a returnee to this hobby after twenty five-odd years, given that my first experience was running a Hornby Intercity 225 starter set around the small living room carpet as a wee ‘un. This was followed by the dawning realisation that a single OO loop wouldn’t cut it, and several disappointing weeks of strongly hinting that I wanted a Poole-era Farish set instead (to no avail). 

Planning this layout has made lockdown really fun! Looking forward to joining a club once this health crisis is over, and moreover actually getting to see Oxenhope in person.

In the interim, here’s a quick snap of my small but growing collection: 4F, Jinty and Jubilee Class all lined up on the IKEA Kallax. WD Austerity 2-8-0 is snaking its way through Royal Mail and I’ve got my eye on a Dapol Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T next (or maybe a BR 4MT 2-6-4T? Choices, choices).

9211BC63-F33B-43BD-B77B-CD641CF9B664.jpeg

There is some degree of authenticity if you restrict yourself to specific locomotives and stock that have actually been preserved.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TonyMay said:

There is some degree of authenticity if you restrict yourself to specific locomotives and stock that have actually been preserved.

That’s definitely the plan. Fortunately most of the preserved stock is available as RTR (the 4F and Jubilee don’t even need a renumber!) and I’m looking into kits and 3D prints for some of the remaining stock.

Just a quick ramble before I sign off on this topic. Having looked at K&WVR’s own description of Oxenhope’s current operations, there’s a modern trackside shed where carriage restoration takes place, and an ‘exhibition’ shed where stock that’s currently out of use is kept on display until it rejoins the railway.

As others have pointed out, the long shed used for storing fixes rakes of carriages isn’t very interesting visually or operationally so it’s going to go. I might keep a low relief entrance or just make it into an open siding if there’s space.

So there’s definitely scope for bringing locos and less frequently used rolling stock from the exhibition shed onto the main line for Gala Days. The carriage restoration shed was originally intended as a running shed and suitably equipped, so maybe that’s what it could be in my alternative universe?

(End of ramble.)

Edit: Now reading the Peco guide to modelling heritage railways. Interestingly it does have a section on modelling Ingrow and Oakworth on the KWVR, which seem to have more operational interest (loco depots, PW workings etc.).

Edited by jonhinds

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

I think you found a really picturesque little place in Oxenhope and it has given me some ideas for a 4mm scale exhibition layout set in the 30s. (By "exhibition" I mean a bit too big and complicated for one person to build at home...)

It would be a very different proposition to your layout so I don't think it would tread on your toes.

Would you mind if I posted a design in a separate thread here?

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi John,

I think you found a really picturesque little place in Oxenhope and it has given me some ideas for a 4mm scale exhibition layout set in the 30s. (By "exhibition" I mean a bit too big and complicated for one person to build at home...)

It would be a very different proposition to your layout so I don't think it would tread on your toes.

Would you mind if I posted a design in a separate thread here?

Hey, that would be great. In turn I might get a little bit of inspiration from an experienced modeller too!

I don’t know how closely you’re sticking to the prototype, but I know of at least two layouts (O gauge and 3mm finescale) that have covered the period and might be of interest. I can dig up some links if so.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jonhinds said:

Hey, that would be great. In turn I might get a little bit of inspiration from an experienced modeller too!

I don’t know how closely you’re sticking to the prototype, but I know of at least two layouts (O gauge and 3mm finescale) that have covered the period and might be of interest. I can dig up some links if so.

"Experienced" - hmmm, yes, sort of, in some areas... Still lots to learn, though!

You usually need to compress real world trackplans but this location is relatively compact already and I am imagining a scenic finescale model so at the moment I'm going to design a layout that's exactly to scale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

"Experienced" - hmmm, yes, sort of, in some areas... Still lots to learn, though!

You usually need to compress real world trackplans but this location is relatively compact already and I am imagining a scenic finescale model so at the moment I'm going to design a layout that's exactly to scale.

That sounds wonderful. Look forward to further developments!

After a long dark night of the soul (actually a quick study of a few track plans) I’m admitting defeat on Oxenhope. Unless I wildly distort the layout or its functions there simply isn’t much going on in the heritage era.

This Peco plan for Ingrow on the Worth Valley looks great, on the other hand. There’s lots of activity at the real station, with coaches and locos regularly moved between the various on-site museums and workshops. Plus it’ll fit my board! 

Now to find space for a second fiddle yard...

2E81D3CE-3C40-446A-93A4-565D866B564A.jpeg