Wireing bass-reflex speakers

Gene

Gents,

I just recieved some bass-reflex speakers from DCC Supplies and was wondering about attaching them to the chip.

so..question 1...I assume they just get soldered to the 2 tabs on the chip that the regular speaker is soldered onto...does it matter which wire gets soldered to which tab? ie: is there a + and a - on speakers? andif I want to leave the regular lok-sound speaker on the chip as well as haveing the bass-reflex on it , do I have to do anything special or alter anything??

Cheers

Gene

The wires do, indeed, go to the same locations as the previously existing speaker wires. It would be better to cut the wires some distance from the decoder as it is easier to attach and solder them without cooking the chip or accidentally bridging two connections.

If wiring two speakers to one decoder, wire them in parallel; that is, cut the wires as suggested before then twist and solder one wire from each speaker to one of the cut wires, then twist and solder the remaining three wires together. Make sure they are all well insulated (heat-shrink tubing works well). Turn the volume in CV63 down to 50 or less to avoid overheating the amp on the decoder with two speakers.

The polarity of the speaker wires doesn't matter. With one speaker, wire them in whichever way they fall conveniently. With two speakers, you may need to experiment as the two speakers should be kept in phase, so you may wish to swap the wires of one speaker in relation to the other and see which combination gives better sound. The positive and negative markings or indications on the decoders or PCBs relate to the outputs but the speakers don't really care which way the power travels through them!!

Good questions .... and can I add .... will an extra bass speaker make it any louder.

I have a Bachmann 108 DMU with an Olivia Loksound chip but it isn't quite loud enough.

Regards Charlie

Bass speekers can increase the volume but it varies on the enviroment.

The sound of an exhibition hall for example can sometimes be hard for sound decoders fitted with Bass speekers. However in the quiet of a railway room they can sound better then other set ups.

For my 108's I've fitted 20x40ml speekers faceing downwards inside the passenger area. You have to sacrifice one wall of a vestibule and the seating. However dispite this they are pritty loud dispite not drilling any holes or having any noticeable areas for the sound to escape.

Gents...thanks very much for all your info and advice...its just the stuff I was looking for..

I'll be removeing the regular speaker and attaching just the bass-reflex....wireing more than one speaker sounds a bit beyond my abilities so I'll keep it simple.

Cheers

Gene

Archived