Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Coal loading in the 1930s

I am modeling a small country terminus in the 1930s and I wondered how would the locos be loaded with coal where there was no elevated coal siding? Nowadays a front end loader could be used but they weren’t around then. Any ideas please?

Shovels, and the Mk1 human. There might sometimes be a small hand-crane and bucket.  Even when there was an elevated coaling stage, the wagons would be emptied by manual means.

From personal experience, the man and shovel combination can handle a surprising amount in a day.

Coaling at Loch Tay (small loco shed beyond the terminus at Killin, no facilities at the junction) was done by shovelling out of a 16ton mineral parked on the adjacent line right up until closure in the 1960s. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick38 said:

I am modeling a small country terminus in the 1930s and I wondered how would the locos be loaded with coal where there was no elevated coal siding? Nowadays a front end loader could be used but they weren’t around then. Any ideas please?

Here's an LMS example, Redditch, a coaling stage--looks very modellable!

https://images.app.goo.gl/Ln1CzstUzzcrmH2cA

From Warwickshire Railways, excellent web-site:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrred418.htm

cheers,

Keith

55 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Shovels, and the Mk1 human. There might sometimes be a small hand-crane and bucket.  Even when there was an elevated coaling stage, the wagons would be emptied by manual means.

From personal experience, the man and shovel combination can handle a surprising amount in a day.

Also known as the 1RB! 

• Funny 1

Coal could be laboriously shovelled from a wagon on to a line side platform and them laboriously loaded onto a loco bunker or tender, but on the GWR the practice of out stationing a loco at the terminus died out through your period in favour of sending a loco from a major depot. 1930s  GWR locos had very large bunkers compared to most, 3 tons plus, after the bunkers were lengthened with a "Bustle" and raised so they could easily do a whole days work on a branch without re fuelling. 4400 went from 2.3 tons as built to 3.75 tons coal capacity when their bunkers were lengthened.   Last one I know of was Princetown until closure, where the 44XX was coaled direct from a wagon buffered up to the loco.  The GWR Bunker with the "Bustle" extension reduced the gap between loco and wagon.   Coaling platforms such as St Ives remained until closure but I doubt they remained in use until the end of steam when Long Rock depot was not far away.    .

Edited by DavidCBroad

Many thanks for all this helpful info. The thought of flinging shovels full of coal from ground level up into a tank engines bunker didn’t sound too good, but shoveling from an adjacent wagon or a staging was obviously the way to go. While coaling would normally be done at the main line end, I thought it would be appropriate to provide some means at the terminus, just in case!