My new black Hall

Hi all,

Well all the parts for my black BR Hall have now arrived plus the engine. This is what I am starting with. I already had a spare tender. First 2 pictures to show you what I started with. Then some piccy's of how it has turned out.

This is what  has done to this engine.

Gently filed that big nasty moulding seam on top of the boiler and firebox away.

Full repaint in satin and matt black.

New front hook and buffers(This already came with the loco).

Replaced the loco/tender drawbar with one that works. The one it came with was far to high and stuck out by a good 5mm more than it should.

Lamp irons at the front made and fitted.

Windows glazed.

Extended footplate made and fitted.

Crew added

Vacuum pipes fitted front and rear.

Replaced the front bogie wheels with the correct ones. The ones it came with had pinpoint axels with the pins sticking out.

New number and name plates put on. The engine is now 6972 Beningbrough Hall. The numbers and name plates are by Jackson-Evans.

BR tender transfers are by Fox.

Engine given a full service.

I did not paint the handrails silver as all the pictures I looked at for a Black Hall they were painted black.

Another old engine saved from an ignominious end...…… :)

Hall 1.jpg

Hall 2.jpg

black hall 1 (1).JPG

black hall 1 (2).JPG

black hall 1 (3).JPG

black hall 1 (4).JPG

black hall 1 (5).JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 6

Hi Hall,

Yes I did hand paint the engine. I was going to spray paint it but changed my mind.

This is the engine I based the Hall on. Although I decided I did not want to line mine out.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Gold

Silver painted handrails would have been incorrect for any Hall at any time in service, though they may have incorrectly carried them in preservation.  It is worth filing them off an replacing with separate handrails though.  The black livery is a good choice for the old 'Albert Hall' model, and helps to hide the moulded-into-the-boiler splashers and nameplate.  The undersize centre driver seems less obvious with this livery as well, as do the not-very-separate steam pipes, which doesn't make sense but who cares?

To gild the lily having made a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I'd respectfully suggest applying transfers for the 'red spot' route indicator and the power class inside it, D; this's send you crosseyed for a few hours!  Real coal would be an easy upgrade as well. Finish off with a coat of varnish to seal the transfers, I prefer matt but it's your loco.  And you should be very proud of it; as you say, another old stager given a new lease of life.

Hi Johnster.

I was going to put real coal on this engine. but I have run out of both pva glue and coal at the moment. Something to do in the not too distant future. Yes I prefer matt varnish over satin paint. But I am never too sure what varnish to use on enamel paint. Last time I tried to spray varnish on enamel paint it all bubbled up and had to be stripped and repainted. Any suggestions as to an appropriate spray on matt varnish for enamel paint would be gratefully received.

Edited by cypherman

Hi all,

Well the PVA is one the way and I have managed to get another piece of coal to crush. So that will be done. I have also ordered some of the transfers for the red spot route indicators as Johnster has mentioned.