Modern Image Depot

GWR 802006

An image only sort of helps.  Ideally we need to know the measurements, is the OO or N.

You say for the image that it is what you have at the moment.  Does that mean any design in restricted to that, or is there the possibility of going bigger?  If so, what are the dimensions of what is possible.

• RMweb Premium

Lots of questions need answering before anyone can suggest a track plan or design. What kind of "depot"? Your picture shows a Europhoenix 37 and random mix of GWR and XC HST. Do you want a loco depot? A HST depot? A full HST is longer than your 6' length. Do you want it to just be a display board or something with operating potential (eg locos arriving from a small hidden area and onto the depot, through the wash, to the fuel point, into the maintenance shed,...? If it's just for display, five straight tracks as you have them won't display much except the roof of the trains on the rear four tracks. Have a look around RMWeb, there are some very good depot layouts on here in the "Layouts" and "Boxfiles" section (called 'boxfiles' because they are designed to fit in a box file and other small spaces). Look for some inspiration and decide what you want from it. If its for displaying locos, give as much thought to the layout of tracks, buildings, etc, not just to how many you can fit on, otherwise its just a shelf full of stock. Think how to create angles, scenes, cameos that highlight the stock, rather than just having five plain straight tracks. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

If I remember correctly the book 'Building Micro Layouts', by Paul Lunn, has a design for a contemporary depot.  The plan allows for the potential of a lot of modern stock as we see only one end of the building (I think it's the rear).  You wouldn't need a whole HST, just a power car and a coach.

Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm that this is the correct book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Micro-Layouts-Design-Techniques-Project/dp/1907094202

Good luck.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex,  I've had a quick look and there isn't a Modern Depot Design in Micro Layouts.  I did however do something quite recently for Model Rail Issue 253 which comprised of the end of a depot  with wash plant based on the Sleeper trains out of Willsden.  It was only 4' x 2'-3", with an additional 2' non-scenic section to the right hand end.  If you think this might help I can post a copy of the track plan and indeed am happy to discuss variations or adaptations with you in due course.  Kind regards Paul

On 21/05/2020 at 12:58, GWR 802006 said:

I am planning to do a Modern Image Depot which could someone design me a depot for me please?

"Diesel Depot" in OO is my take on a modern depot within 4.5 feet by 9 inches (for more see: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134759-diesel-depot/):

442957522_DSCF3152-Copy.JPG.73d19808358d214d687031799408c9b9.JPGDSCF3153.JPG.d6955e88bffe63ffcd294dc57f152677.JPGDSCF3158.JPG.d6d38a486f849fec8b8fe13fe25d6b2d.JPGDSCF3159.JPG.49698d3d1be65ccbb01657758b9bb7ed.JPG

• Like 3