Dismantling these lights

I have some very battered lights in my box of spares (no idea whether they work, so it's worth a try). As you can see from the pictures below, there is only a single wire and contact. How is the circuit completed? I assume through the body of the light but I don't know. Also, how can I remove the light itself from the remaining body? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

IMG_20200526_182519.jpg

IMG_20200526_182447.jpg

I have a couple of these somewhere, dating back to early 80s or before. Mine have two wires and work in the normal way- I wonder whether yours have suffered some brutal treatment in their past?

I should have looked first.. Having found one, a lot more easily than I expected, yes there are two wires emerging at the bottom of the post as I remembered, but only one at the top in the groove to the arm, so I suspect you are right in thinking the circuit completes through the light body. The second wire on mine must be connected to the body inside somewhere, but without breaking it it appears impossible to see exactly how.

Mind you mine was treated to a thick coat of black paint many years ago which may be hiding the intended method of taking it to bits, or perhaps they were meant to be disposable once bulb blew?

Well, I have experimented. Scraped some of the black paint off the post and off the arm and  holding either bare patch to one terminal of a 9v battery and the black wire to the other- hey presto, it lights up.

Therefore the circuit does indeed complete through the arm and post. The missing wire (it's green on mine) must be intended to attach to the inside of the post. Perhaps it's just some sort of interference fit so once pulled out, there is no trace of where it fitted. I am not going to try pulling it out of mine! 

8 hours ago, Sotto said:

Well, I have experimented. Scraped some of the black paint off the post and off the arm and  holding either bare patch to one terminal of a 9v battery and the black wire to the other- hey presto, it lights up.

Therefore the circuit does indeed complete through the arm and post. The missing wire (it's green on mine) must be intended to attach to the inside of the post. Perhaps it's just some sort of interference fit so once pulled out, there is no trace of where it fitted. I am not going to try pulling it out of mine! 

Thanks. I thought that one of mine might be broken but then realised I'd knocked out the foam which pushes the contacts together while taking it apart. I guess that it's going to be almost impossible to remove the body given that this forms part of the circuit. A very frank conversation with a saw might be on the cards in order to remove the arm, but I have no idea what to do about those hideous lampshades.