Take a look at various paintings of scenes by various artists and even if the painting looks crude and vague, if it has consistency it can be enjoyed and paints a scene in the minds of the viewer. So as long as the same artist has completed the same scene according to their own unique styles and abilities, and the scene is one that is a subject which pleases the viewer, we have success.

We can apply this to our model railways. I was going to reply this to another post but I thought it best to give it a seperate thread, so I have copied and pasted it to be used in here instead, and I will add to it to finish what I wrote.

With my modelling skills I have learned to have a "That will do" attitude with my 7mm narrow gauge. Turning to model in 0-16.5 gave me something which I lacked when I modelled in 00, and that is consistency, as in 00 gauge, I had issues of various consistencies from my scratchbuilding efforts when I was young, to my improved scratchbuilding efforts, to some of the lesser detailed RTR models and all mixed with more modern highly detailed RTR factory made models which along with a mix of kits and premade buildings mixing excellent resin ready made buildings with card kits and pastic kits painted by my own crude standards... It just was not looking right. 

But along with the change to 7mm narrow gauge, I origionally faced a problem. You see, there is little or nothing available in UK styles when it comes to locos and rolling stock that is ready made. Everything has to be RTR bashed, scratchbuilt, kitbuilt or kit bashed to get the desired results. 

I have found this to be generally easier to do then I had initially imagined but my efforts are not that great when compared to some of you who make real delightful models! But one thing I noticed as I carried on building in this new scale was that everything I made or painted had consistency. As long as I painted everything myself to my own ability using the same style of painting (Brushpainting. Gloss paints preferred for locos and coaches and matt paints preferred for waggons and vans if possible). 

Now by doing this, for what seems to be the first time in my life in regards to the hobby, I have a genuine chance of really achieving a scene which makes sense even though it will all be freelancing, as I am "Painting" a scene which will look consistent. 

The lack of consistanc I ended up with in 00 gauge meant that no matter how hard I tried, my efforts just did not seem to work, and until I changed scale and found this out, I was unlikely to have any success.

Now my little layout is still a work in progress in its various states of build. My rolling stock and locomotives are in similar stages of build. But I am hoping that when it all comes together it will paint a nice scene which will make up for any lack of skills or detail, and it will let the skills and character of my handiwork shine through. (That is the plan!)

So with that in mind, I am wondering if it may help others in their modelling projects in their own desired gauges and scales? And this basic idea of consistency can help many achieve a convincing scene. Take Hornby Dublo 3 rail. One can make it look good if one carefully selects appropiate buildings which have been made from appropiate materials which match the same style. If one buys a wonderful premade resin building from the Hornby Skaledale range and adds it on a 3 rail layout as it is, the lack of consistency will detract from the scene, and any lack of detail of the rest of the layout and models will be exposed.

Can a moderator delete one of these topics as I have ended up with two of the same topic by mistake. Thanks. 

Delete this one. We can use the other one instead. Thanks. 

Edited by Mountain Goat
Please delete this thread as it has been duplicated by mistake. Keep the other thread. Thanks.