RMweb

LiasDcc Decoder Output issue

APT Fan

I have a LiasDcc Decoder Chip, 9 wire 860014, which seems to have an issue with the front lighting output. It remains constantly high, when it is switched to ON, the LED (with 1K resistor) actually dims slightly. The output for the rear lights is working fine as is the motor control. Feels very much like a hardware issue but could this be caused by the control software? I'm using LocoMotive DCC Audurino / Android phone app.

Thanks in advance.

What brand of loco is it fitted into.

I fitted a Zen decoder into a USA Bachmann switcher and both front & rear lights stay on, one just gets brighter when moving in the same direction - a process normally on real life locos apparently.

• RMweb Gold

Talking from no experience lol but could it be a faulty resister ? 

If its hardware this next bit wont help, but in the manual there is an entry under more function options which says :-

Dimmed brightness function.   CV 64.  Led's. 2 - 6.   Bulbs.  12 - 18.         Thats ALL it says 

I would assume this would effect both forward and reverse though

10 hours ago, Mattc6911 said:

You could try a factory reset for the decoder to see if that clears the fault

To reset a lais put a value of 4 in to cv 8 or cv 30 either one should do a factory reset

Thanks, that's good information. Not sure how I do that from the Android app, I guess I need to do it via the Audrino somehow?

It definetly a decoder issue, I've tried different LEDs and resistors on a breadboard and its the same symptoms.

• RMweb Gold

Reading the blurb on locomotive, If you have purchased the latest DCC version of the App from the App store (£5.99 ?) It says it has the ability to read/write cv's 1 - 255.  If you hard  wired the decoder in yourself you could also try switching the lighting wires over, so front goes to back and back goes to front and see if when going forward the REAR light comes on too bright and the front light is ok, in which case almost certainly a problem with the output from the decoder and not the lights/ resister

12 hours ago, Mattc6911 said:

Reading the blurb on locomotive, If you have purchased the latest DCC version of the App from the App store (£5.99 ?) It says it has the ability to read/write cv's 1 - 255.  If you hard  wired the decoder in yourself you could also try switching the lighting wires over, so front goes to back and back goes to front and see if when going forward the REAR light comes on too bright and the front light is ok, in which case almost certainly a problem with the output from the decoder and not the lights/ resister

Yeah, downloaded the full app and it is much more comprehensive in terms of being able to read/write cv's. A factory reset did not clear the fault so there is definetly a hardware issue for me, I did however manage to reassign the green output to forward lights (CV51 = 0) and soft wired that to the light switch (CV35 = 1). So I've restored the function.

Whilst this provides me with a workaround, I'm losing a function here and I'm not very happy as I have two of these and they are brand new, the other unit works perfectly. They haven't been incorrectly installed so I have questions to ask of the manufacturer. I contacted them today about the issue of the output staying high and bizarrely they suggested using a 2k resistor instead to see if that clears the fault. It didn't.  

Edited by APT Fan