Royal Mail Coaches in the 1960s

Hello.

My layout era is the late 1960s I thinking of buying an Bachmann Royal Mail coach . The one thing I have noticed on the Bachmann models is the door design on some models you have an half glass design on the others a more robust design with a small glass panel near the top.

My question is when did they change the door design I am guessing the ' Great Train Robbery ' of 1963 would have seen some design changers. Were Royal Mail Coaches still painted red by 1969 or had been redone into the blue and grey scheme? I have had a go searching the net but found very little can anyone answer this question? 

Thank . Clay Cross Junction.

The change in door/window design was indeed a result of the GTR, but the earlier coaches were not retro-fitted with the new designs (I think). They did get improved comms and radios fitted though, look for the large roof pods. On the ScR trio the toilet windows were plated over to give one less potential point of entry. Blue/grey from the mid 60s, at least one of the ScR trio was still red in April 68.

Edited by Wheatley

1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

.....Blue/grey from the mid 60s, at least one of the ScR trio was still red in April 68.

Would Sir be referring to the Derek Cross photo of D5131 coming off Culloden Viaduct on a six-coach rake with a red TPO vehicle immediately behind the loco? ('Heyday of the Scottish Diesels' page 57). I note it has two large roof pods.

The photo is dated 5/4/70 in the book but no data panel on the loco and only two of the vehicles in the consist being blue/grey makes your date of 4/68 more likely. Captions eh? - treat with caution!

Close, the Derek Cross photo of D5343 and D5344 a mile east of Inverness  on a 3 coach rake with the red TPO at the rear ('Scottish Deisels - A Colour Portfolio', page 20) ! :-) 

I knew I had the Culloden photo somewhere but I couldn't find it - looking in the wrong book ! I 'Your' photo also shows the patch painting where the lav window has been plated over. One day when I get round to it I will be replicating this on the Bachmann model with a bit of clear transfer film. 

The forthcoming Highland 24 is the only Suttons Loco Works variant announced so far which might persuade me to part with 200 quid for a loco I don't actually need ...

5 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Close, the Derek Cross photo of D5343 and D5344 a mile east of Inverness  on a 3 coach rake with the red TPO at the rear ('Scottish Deisels - A Colour Portfolio', page 20) ! :-) 

I knew I had the Culloden photo somewhere but I couldn't find it - looking in the wrong book ! I 'Your' photo also shows the patch painting where the lav window has been plated over. One day when I get round to it I will be replicating this on the Bachmann model with a bit of clear transfer film. 

The forthcoming Highland 24 is the only Suttons Loco Works variant announced so far which might persuade me to part with 200 quid for a loco I don't actually need ...

I have that one too, just looked up page 20.........yep, there it is, on the far end of the train as you say!

In the late 70s I was into things Scottish and converted a then new Hornby Class 25 into an Inverness Class 24, as D5114 in green referring to a photo in an Ian Allan ABC. No detail parts back then, I had to make my own tablet catchers, perforated boiler grille blanks and underframe details. I even managed to move the headcode box lighting bulbs down to shine through the twin headlamps drilled into the end doors! I was quite chuffed with it. I had already produced a Class 26 from a Lima 33 and then the Hornby Class 29 came out (nice bogies, shame about the rest of it!) I'm not surprised SLW's Highland Class 24 is a tempting prospect, but it's beyond my modelling budget these days. I've done a Baccy D5068 with back-to-front driver's corner arrows instead (that was fun!) - unfinished at the moment, like so much else.....

• 2 weeks later...

So what happened after posting my question on here. Went on eBay found a kit built blue and grey coach needed a bit of tender loving care but now have Royal Mail coach total cost of £14.95 which included the postage. The Bachmann ones were far to expensive so smiles around . 

• Like 1